Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Benefits of Instrument Rating at non-IFR field

Hi everyone,

I recently found and joined this community in my search of getting more information about the Instrument Rating.

I’m a rookie pilot and passed for my PPL beginning of this year. Since then I guess I have been infected by the well known ‘virus’ and it feels like I’m not done with learning yet. Experience will come with the hours but I was also looking at more training options with a special interest for the instrument rating.

I have a couple of doubts / thoughts / questions about this rating.

Getting the rating will definitely improve my knowledge about the other aspects of flying. Besides that I aspect it will also improve my airwork and makes me a better and safer pilot?

But will I fully benefit with the rating since my home field is a green non-IFR field (EHHV)? From my understanding you will still need VMC to pickup IFR after take-off and of course for landing.

I’m wondering if weather is CAVOK do you still fly IFR because of the guidance / separation by ATC or do you choose VFR so you are more free and flexible where to go?

I guess with the rating you will make a trip more easier to a foreign field but that is my assumption?

When I decide to start the training do you recommend to go for the fully ATPL theory or the new 7 subjects course. I might like to get my CPL in the near future, no commercial ambitions for now though. Not sure if I can get my IR and CPL in 36 months because I have only 50 PIC hours when starting the IR course.

(BTW I do have a share on a fully IFR equipped Piper Archer III.)

Lot of questions but I’m looking forward to hear your thoughts, experiences and opinions!

QNH
EHHV

2: I’m based at a grass VFR field. If I can’t make it back, I divert to LSZH – I needed to do that once, so far. If I need to go somewhere and the weather looks doubtful that this would be possible, I reposition my aircraft to LSZH some days ahead. Also if you have a nearby airport with instrument departures, using these might be an option.

3: definitely! Mainly because the planning is so much easier when going abroad, and the rules are much more uniform, no need to discuss Nüse’s “precision traffic circuits” and how to join a traffic circuit could probably fill books.

LSZK, Switzerland

80% of my IFR flights would be possible under VFR. It’s just much more convenient in most cases, having somebody on the ground that takes over navigation and airspaces for you. When flying across Germany in good weather, I would normally use VFR because I am familiar with flying in this country and the airspace structure is very simple and VFR friendly. In France I would always use IFR because the airspace structure is super complex.

But will I fully benefit with the rating since my home field is a green non-IFR field (EHHV)? From my understanding you will still need VMC to pickup IFR after take-off and of course for landing.

A very hot topic currently. In theory, you won’t need VMC in future since the new european rules (SERA) say that IFR should be allowed in airspace G. Hence you could depart and arrive in IMC conditions.
In practice, for several reasons that won’t happen (except in countries like UK, where this is allowed even today).

Re 3: as Achim said, it depends. Having the choice is great.

However, note that flying IFR does not necessarily mean flying “under control”. It’s not primarily a matter if VFR or IFR, it’s a matter of which airspace type (controlled vs. uncontrolled) you are flying in.

Re 4: it’s not so much a matter going foreign. It’s more about distances, and long VFR flights being rather demanding.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Jun 08:41
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi QNH, I’m located in your area and I can take you on a IFR flight if you’re interested to see how it works…

You need VFR conditions in order to legally depart/arrive at EHHV (cloud base above circuit altitude and 1,5km visibility).
There is a “grey area” because below 1500ft you’re still in class G airspace, and Schiphol Approach can open IFR only once you pass 1500ft and enter controlled airspace.
When I arrive at Lelystad in IMC, I do the cloudbreak over the lake (Veluwemeer). If I’m not visual at 900ft I will divert to an instrument airfield (EHGG).

I started the IR training shortly after getting the PPL. A lot of people say that it’s better to first make a lot of hours before starting the IR, but that is nonsense.
ATPL pilots do the complete training (CPL/IR/ME) in one go,and within 200hrs of flying time.

Without doubt, the IR is the most valuable rating one can get… It gives you access to all airspaces and makes flying in Europe easier and less weather dependent.

With an IR your VFR capabilities will also increase. But the thing is: Once you have an IR, why would you fly VFR if the weather is marginal?
It’s just safer (and easier) to fly IFR.

There seems to be a tendency that once you become very proficient with flying IFR in the Eurocontrol system, it starts to become boring.
I’m still in the phase that I think IFR flying is “sexy” But I know some very experienced IR rated pilots that fly, i.e. LDLO-EHRD VFR because they like the challenge.
An IFR flight will always be more or less the same: Climb FLxxx, turn left heading XXX, Proceed direct XXXX, etc. Very predictable, no surprises…

Regarding the choice between IR or ATPL theory: I did only the IR theory (7 subjects). I found it easier then the PPL theory, not in the last place because you get a database with all the exam questions at your disposal
You need the full ATPL theory only if you plan to fly commercially…

There seems to be a tendency that once you become very proficient with flying IFR in the Eurocontrol system, it starts to become boring.
I’m still in the phase that I think IFR flying is “sexy” But I know some very experienced IR rated pilots that fly, i.e. LDLO-EHRD VFR because they like the challenge.

Very true. IFR flights are usually very boring and non demanding (and when they’re not, then it’s usually unpleasant!). That is great when one travels but takes out a lot of fun from the flying. I tend to read my newspaper or work on my laptop when enroute IFR.

With an IFR capable machine and the rating, one tends to always be lazy and file IFR but then regret it on the way. I very much like having VFR only machines from time to time and figure out my trips without IFR. I think I could do most of my flying without an IR or with one of the light IFR variants we now have. What it really did for me is improve my flying skills (precision) and take away the unfounded fear of IMC. If I think of all the dangerous situations I got myself into while being a VFR pilot, the IR has improved my skills in avoiding or handling it. I was taught to better hit a windmill in VMC than fly into a cloud under VFR. Brits have always been better off with the IMCR and Americans too with all CFIs having an IR but in Germany we get our training from CFIs that very often (in most cases?) don’t have an IR and teach you a lot of wrong ideas.

Last Edited by achimha at 06 Jun 10:43

I could do most of my flying without an IR or with one of the light IFR variants we now have.

Yes, but that’s because you’re trained to IR standards..
Most VFR pilots will not feel comfortable flying over a solid overcast, or with 3km visibility, or at FL099 just below controlled airspace.
Knowing that you can control the aircraft even without visibility, and that you can still land it even if the cloud base is at 200ft, makes a whole lot of difference…

Yes, but that’s because you’re trained to IR standards..

I don’t know about Achim, but not in my case…

Most VFR pilots will not feel comfortable flying over a solid overcast, or with 3km visibility, or at FL099 just below controlled airspace.

I’ve done all that, before getting the IR ticket…

LSZK, Switzerland

I don’t find that at all.

IFR makes for low[er] stress flying, and the scenery is just the same and often better.

With an IFR capable machine and the rating, one tends to always be lazy and file IFR but then regret it on the way.

I don’t find that at all.

I do 100-150hrs/year, about 50-70% IFR. It’s a super way to fly.

An IFR flight will always be more or less the same: Climb FLxxx, turn left heading XXX, Proceed direct XXXX, etc. Very predictable, no surprises…

You want a bet?

Yes, VFR pickup but IFR pretty soon after that.

I’m wondering if weather is CAVOK do you still fly IFR because of the guidance / separation by ATC or do you choose VFR so you are more free and flexible where to go?

IFR is much easier, largely because you get an assured clearance all the way. With VFR you need to (in general) get a clearance for each piece of CAS, and your options can be very limited when it comes to weather avoidance for which the best method is VMC on top.

I guess with the rating you will make a trip more easier to a foreign field but that is my assumption?

Very much so. Especially in certain countries where VFR is not easy, due to loads of controlled airspace.

When I decide to start the training do you recommend to go for the fully ATPL theory or the new 7 subjects course. I might like to get my CPL in the near future, no commercial ambitions for now though. Not sure if I can get my IR and CPL in 36 months because I have only 50 PIC hours when starting the IR course.

Just do the minimum, unless you want to get a commercial job one day.

I have some trip writeups here which show the VFR-IFR differences.

Last Edited by Peter at 06 Jun 12:36
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t know the rules in your country but I used to fly from a VFR only airfield in the UK that was in class G with Class D starting at 2000’. There was a nearby lake that could be used to let down to whatever you felt comfortable with for arrivals (I’m not a huge fan of this) or you could do an ILS at a nearby field and then make a ‘large circle to land’ to your real destination once visual if it looked suitable (cloudbase, vis, terrain etc). Departures were easier because even with a pretty rubbish cloud base there was no terrain at all to the south so even with a 500’ cloud base (or less) you could depart without unnecessary concern for obstacle clearance.

About flying IFR all the time being boring and regretting filing IFR, as long as you know you have enough fuel and the correct charts etc there is nothing to stop you getting airborne and then canceling IFR at any point. I do this quite regularly, sometimes even on the ground I’ll make an initial call like “GABCD stand 10 information Z, I would like to cancel my IFR flight plan and request start for a VFR departure to XYZ”. Other times I will do it is once I’ve pass a ‘complicated’ airspace structure (like the London TMA) I’ll fly through/over/around it on an IFR clearence and then bin IFR afterwards.

United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message