Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Benefits/problems to GA from NATS switching to EXCDS

Does anyone know whether there would be benefits or problems coming up GA as a result of the NATS switch to EXCDS (https://www.nats.aero/excds/)?

Would this help with IFR pop-up clearances in London TC? Does anyone know whether other ATC controllers like Farnborough Radar would be on this system as well and would benefit from optimised passing on of information between sectors?

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Not sure, but I had a fun one the other day, a “dumped on departure”.
Filed a Z plan (departure from EGMC VFR then IFR at DVR to LFLY), and EGMC gave me a full IFR clearance (direct into controlled airpace at DET which created a dogleg). Told them I only wanted to pickup IFR at DVR (to avoid the dogleg, and also be able to dodge clouds as 0C level was reasonably low), so things went pretty much like this:

ATC “so do you want to cancel IFR”
Me “Negative, I filed a Zulu flightplan, so I want to depart VFR, OCAS, then pick up IFR when suitable en route”
ATC “stanby”
….
(after a bit)
ATC “VFR departure, OCAS, squawk …., next frequency for IFR (london control)”

Is the NATS still using paper strips!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sounds that way

but I don’t believe it at all. They disappeared many years ago AFAIK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t believe it at all. They disappeared many years ago AFAIK.

According to this official video,

it seems it is the case.
Their present equipment seem a little old fashioned. That said, France will only go to electronic strips from 2019.
As you know, French ATCOs are a bit conservative

LFOU, France

Terminal Control was still using paper strips last year. The higher altitude ATC are on an electronic system.

EGTK Oxford
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message