Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

BEWARE: PROP RIP-OFF SCAM !

Although I have suspected alot of shops and repair stations of this kind of thing, this recent story posted over on another [public] US forum demonstrates that it DOES HAPPEN !

To wit :

Sent my props to a local prop shop that had estimated the overhaul of my props and governors at $9,000. OK, they removed them and opened them up and the hubs and blades are perfect but the “this, that and flux capacitor” (all HIGH dollar items) are identically broken on both the left and the right prop/governor. The price is now $17,500. Oh, and we are such great guys that we happen to have a “this that and flux capacitor” in serviceable condition to save you some money.

I wouldn’t be so skeptical but my buddy who owns a shop (I had this conversation after the fact!) said they did this to him 90% of the time. Quoted a low rate and then popped you with fake broken items.

LATER :

I stopped by randomly and asked to see my stuff much to their surprise. I took a pickup and was ready to rescue my stuff. My parts squawked as needing replacement with the shop’s “serviceable” units looked almost new. Equally, they did not know where these “serviceable” units were (perhaps because they don’t exist) and were just going to reinstall my stuff.

Anyways, they are done with the blades and hubs which look beautiful and I’m half pregnant here so I decided to stay put. My parts also magically healed themselves.
They obviously knew I was onto the scheme and all the sudden got very friendly and accommodating. The price dropped dramatically closer to the original estimate.

RESULT:

My current mechanic told me he called them before i showed up and they said he could have some of the money from the scam. My mechanic told them to piss off and that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Last Edited by Michael at 23 Jan 10:32
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I don’t know nothing about this case but I currently have an engine all disassembled in the engine shop. Even with a trustworthy shop it makes a huge difference if they know you will definitely show up and go with them over all parts declared unserviceable and review all details of the quote…

Just as an example the shop quoted me a new cam and all the followers. The parts were bad but they simply quoted the detached parts at list price. But I knew a complete cam kit is usually much cheaper than single parts. So with a single phone call this position dropped from about 5000 USD to a little over 2000 USD. There is no alternative, either you have to get involved a little with maintenance or it will get very expensive.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

So with a single phone call this position dropped from about 5000 USD to a little over 2000 USD. There is no alternative, either you have to get involved a little with maintenance or it will get very expensive.

Good on you Sebastien !

The question is : Why didn’t your shop propose the kit rather than piece-meal ?

Are they that ignorant or were they going to pocket the difference ? Either way, if you ask me, they suck.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Sebastian_G wrote:

There is no alternative, either you have to get involved a little with maintenance or it will get very expensive.

Bravo, I’ve said this too many times before. You either roll your sleeves up or pull your trousers down! I just helped a new owner to whom I sold a TB9 to, he was quoted 750 Euro to change the nose oleo seals! Its a wild world as the song says.

William

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

You either roll your sleeves up or pull your trousers down!

Now THAT’s a quote to remember !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

You either roll your sleeves up or pull your trousers down!

Brilliant… but most owners consciously make that decision for the latter option.

Regarding propellers, there was the famous case of a UK firm building props out of condemned parts and selling them with forged documents. They got busted by the FAA, not by the CAA! Presumably because they were issuing fake 8130-3 forms (they were a FAA and JAA 145 company) and not fake JAA Form 1s. Much on google – example

I often get criticised for drawing attention to dodgy maintenance…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I often get criticised for drawing attention to dodgy maintenance…

Dodgy maintenance is one thing – total rip-off scams are another, entirely. That said, I agree that many owners get real defensive when you start questioning the who and what-for of previous servicing .

Last Edited by Michael at 24 Jan 11:11
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

name of the shop?

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

name of the shop?

It will be disclosed just as soon as the victim gets his props back. It’s in the US.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message