Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

BGKK Kulusuk_Airport, info required

Looking to do a return trip to greenland next summer, in a DA42 (insurance doesn’t cover US & Canada and it seems too much of a hassle).

Is Kulusuk BGKK a suitable airport? I am concerned about the fact that it is gravel. Does anyone have first hand experience there, with that type or similar?

Thanks!

Might second hand count – colleague visited in a PA-30 recently – no discernible prop nicks etc.

Apparently refuelling might take some time, and the winds were so strong one day, they were waiting for better weather for the leg to Iceland, that the airport kindly parked a fuel truck in front of the aircraft to protect it.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing various GA aircraft land at Kulusuk.

I landed the Mirage there. It was somewhat frozen and slightly contaminated but it was fine. Very pretty spot.

And yes check notams for fuel. Controllers very helpful. Airport is on island but it is a boat trip to the larger town nearby.

Last Edited by JasonC at 09 Nov 13:41
EGTK Oxford

Been there as a tourist in 1994.I can remember the gravel was quite compressed.I even saw a few Seminole type A/C parked there.A few memories taken to show you the surroundings.

LGGG

We landed in our C340 there end of June 2016. Soft gravel, no prop damage, no prob, would like to have stopped but had no time. Swarms of black mosquitos as big as cats which attacked my FO/wife as she exited the a/c to direct the fuel bowser. Bit her through her clothes. That’s what FOs are for

Watch out for east coast Greenland fog. It was socked-in at the time of our return trip in October.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

If you are only going as far a Greenland, then Sondrestrom is a good destination. Fly over the ice cap, on-airport hotel, pulled musk-ox sandwich, Greenland beer, hiking trails, magnificent scenery.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Kulusuk isn’t a very exciting place. Why not come visit me in Sisimiut instead? :-)

Rutherford and friends may head up this way next summer should a group trip be of interest.

London, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message