Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bluetooth = pile of crap

The second method you link to is great and is basically Trueimage, but slightly more convoluted and you can’t exclude individual files. Also how do you restore to a computer which doesn’t boot?

In general something like the Trinity Rescue Kit is great for rescuing borked Windows systems, boot it off a CD and you can mount the NTFS volume read/write and fix whatever’s broken. If you need to image a machine in a hurry it’s useful for that too (dd if=/dev/sdXX of=/some/file/on/usb/drive, or dd if=/dev/sdXX | gzip -c >/some/file/on/usb/drive.gz) although doing a bitwise copy of the entire disc isn’t usually the most efficient way of doing it, it will serve if you’re stuck.

Andreas IOM

I don’t do electronics design consultancy. I have a business in electronics and have developed loads of products since the current business started in 1991, most of which are still selling and need to be maintained. So I run the 1995 Protel PCB 2.8 and a 1994 version of Orcad SDT/386 These work fine up to winXP, which is what I run. Also I use the same tools for new designs – why not? They work fine.

I think everybody has to make a choice of which learning curves to climb up. There is an infinite number of them to choose from. I climbed up the Xilinx one in the 1990s and don’t ever want to do that again – especially as they made their later tools not backwards compatible, so one has to keep an old DOS6.2 PC somewhere, to maintain those products. I also chose to not climb up the whole “unix” / web server etc curve, though I might have to soon. When it comes to IT stuff I use for specific tasks, I am not really interested in climbing up any learning curve at all

Speaking of the Lenovo tablet, it actually doesn’t boot from any normal rescue media. The media needs to be UEFI and Trueimage offers to create that, but it does it only once after it is installed and the option does not appear again… not that I can find. Another few hours wasted.

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Mar 10:24
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Linux is not famed for having a particularly complete GUI

Of course not. Linux was conceived for grownups by grownups and continues to live by that concept. A good way to keep the foolhardy outside.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You sounds like a Cisco certified service engineer

The biggest job support scheme ever (speaking as an ex owner of two 803 ISDN routers, bought for £2000 each and sold for £20).

Administrator

Wish I was one – I’d not be jobless for almost half a year as I am now.

And ISDN was a rip-off by all suppliers, perhaps the last time the industry could agree on such a setup. Myself used Siemens equipment at the time.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Speaking of the Lenovo tablet, it actually doesn’t boot from any normal rescue media. The media needs to be UEFI

UEFI bootable USB media for installing Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8 64-bit operating systems on Lenovo Think Branded systems

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Yes – I saw that. The chances of getting that lot exactly right is close to zero.

UEFI can be disabled in the BIOS but it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Also the win8 on the T2 tablet is 32-bit, not 64-bit.

Very strange…

Last Edited by Peter at 19 Mar 12:37
Administrator
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message