Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza Turboprop - is it good?

The Silver Eagle conversion by O&N is STC’ed. Even under EASA.

And yes, it uses the Allison turbine which suits it just fine, although I found the climb rates a bit underwhelming, even low down.

We used it on the trip which I birefly wrote up here.. Still, while it did its job well, I didn’t really love the Silver Eagle. Face it: What you get is a very old, ugly tin can which usually stinks of jetfuel, has a tight, somewhat dark cabin and flies like a truck.

PCV: yes, but the aircraft is flying again since this spring. As I reported, that mishap cost the owners a fortune.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Aug 16:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I think the Soloy conversion is STC’d so you can get them on a full C of A, certainly in the USA anyway.

I remember one being based near me a while back, the issue seems to be that the airframe Vne is the same as the standard A36, so you basically bomb around everywhere at Vne whilst having to carry a lot of (admittedly cheaper) fuel, and therefore a smaller useful load.

I believe a turbine aircraft needs to be pressurised to work well.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Actually these turbine conversions have a REDUCED Vne relative to their host piston airframe, top of the green is the new Vne.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

Actually these turbine conversions have a REDUCED Vne relative to their host piston airframe, top of the green is the new Vne.

Not on the PA-46 Jetprop. It retains its yellow arc. So it’s Vne is higher than the Meridian which as a certified turbine has no yellow arc although that is purely a certification related matter.

Peter wrote:

Turboprop conversions normally lose about 1/3 from the range of the piston predecessor. The PA46 Jetprop does better, but that’s because it can practically fly at FL260 or so.

Pretty sure the Jetprop has significantly reduced range vs the piston.

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Aug 05:38
EGTK Oxford

I looked into this a while ago. The piston did 1500nm to zero fuel. The JP about 1200. However @eal is the best person I know to ask.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually the Jetprop does loose the yellow arc from the piston PA46. I covered the reasons why here.
It is a certification requirement for turbines.
In terms of range the Piston PA46 has longer range, especially when operated LOP. I have seen some trip reports of up to 1,500 Nm with minimal reserves over at MMOPA. The Jetprop is an honest 1,000Nm traveller with reserves. Zero wind/fuel is 1,300Nm

I remember looking at both the Silver Eagle and the Turbine Bonanza when I was in the market for the Jetprop. At the time, IMHO at least, I felt the Alison Engine was underpowered for the type of long distance cross country I was planning. My feeling was it would struggle above the upper teen flight levels, which is precisely where most of the worst convective weather resides around here.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

IIRC, “Experimental” on N-reg with the exception of Experimental-Amateur Built can be pretty restrictive (eg. Experimental-Exhibition limits you to flights within a certain distance of the home base except for flights to a place where it’s going to be exhibited – on the other hand, it doesn’t seem to be really enforced). I would imagine an N-reg Experimental that’s not amateur built is going to open a whole can of worms to operate outside the US…

Andreas IOM

I just spotted a turbine bonanza for sale on the N reg, and whilst day dreaming I’m pondering what kind of license this needs? With the new N reg clampdown, is it an EASA license SET rating? Or an individual type rating?

I shall continue dreaming….

EGKL, United Kingdom

Just SET is enough but wake up Carl

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Dec 00:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

In the US no need for type rating, but I think in EASA land you do need one. Which makes it almost impossible to get on a weirdo type. But in essence, even in the US, you do need type specific training to satisfy the insurers, so in essence it’s like a type rating except it doesn’t end up in your certificate. Turbine transition normally is at least 25hrs in type and often need up to 50hrs with a mentor pilot before they’ll insure you, but you can certainly do it with just a PPL. I have twin turbine and just a PPL/IR, nor CPL.

Sign in to add your message