Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza vs windmill 1:0

What I find interesting is that the pilot was IFR rated but did not request an IAP at destination rather than descending that close to the ground.

What could be the reason?

• Avoidance of route charges?
  • Difficulties to obtain pop-up clearances in France?
LFPT, LFPN

Maintain aircraft control – tick.

What I really admire is the presence of mind to lop off the right wing after the left, presumably to avoid an asymmetric condition.

To be pedantic, I am sure that a landing is “not legal” everywhere – because every bit of land is owned by somebody, and to land there you need the landowner’s permission.

So here in the UK you also can’t just pop down into a field and wait for the wx to improve while having a pee and eating your sandwiches. The landowner could sue you for tresspass.

But obviously in reality none of that matters. If on the radio, you call a Mayday and land, otherwise you just land… Precautionary landings are (I am told, by a professional overhead power line inspector pilot) quite common with helicopters.

This might be of interest too. In most “IFR tourer” scenarios, a precautionary landing will mean you will not be taking off again.

What could be the reason?
Avoidance of route charges?
Difficulties to obtain pop-up clearances in France?

I might add, possibly

• not having an IR
  • not knowing the obstacles

Let’s face it – how many pilots are actually continuously aware of their obstacle clearance when in IMC? To get that, you need to be running a moving map product which shows the actual terrain, with (at least) spot elevations.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

not having an IR

According to the accident report he did have an IR although I believe it did not specify whether it was still valid.

He was VFR. He should have a good idea of his terrain clearance before descending below the clouds.

LFPT, LFPN

To be pedantic, I am sure that a landing is “not legal” everywhere – because every bit of land is owned by somebody, and to land there you need the landowner’s permission.

Not in Germany. Precautionary landings are allowed on all suitable surfaces. You have the duty to inform the landowner about your landing and give him your contact data but he is explicitly prohibited from preventing you from taking off again.

So here in the UK you also can’t just pop down into a field and wait for the wx to improve while having a pee and eating your sandwiches. The landowner could sue you for tresspass.

The German landowner couldn’t but he could demand compensation for any damage you caused — afterwards. If he blocks you from taking off, he commits a crime.

Not in Germany. Precautionary landings …

That’s all correct, but in this case, it is a rather academic question. With a 2.5ton twin that has a landing speed around 80Kt one does not make a precautionary landing in a field. In the Mojave desert maybe, but not on the kind of softish ground one can expect in nortwestern France. That’s rather an exercise for a Pa-18 or C152.
He had just refuelled in Jersey, he had an instrument rating, his aeroplane was instrument capable. He could have gone anywhere for a safe landing, VFR, IFR whatever. Instead he flies around at 200ft AGL trying to spot the only runway within 100NM which has no suitable weather conditions for a visual approach. That’s the typical behavior of people who have gotten away with this kind of flying too often. Many others are killed on their first attempt to perform that kind of stunt. I hope he learned something from his lucky escape and gave up flying before more harm is done.

kwlf: What I really admire is the presence of mind to lop off the right wing after the left, presumably to avoid an asymmetric condition.

Last Edited by what_next at 06 May 08:00
EDDS - Stuttgart

nothing to be added!

I think in France if you do land in a field you face extreme bureaucratic buggery trying to get out again. There was an article in the LAA mag a couple of months ago where someone made a precautionary landing in a Tiger Moth in France and had a small and unpleasant bureaucratic battle to be able to fly out of the field he put it in.

Andreas IOM
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message