Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brexit and general aviation, UK leaving EASA, etc (merged)

Well the need for European – UK mutual recognition of professional licences seems to be missing!

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Got a reply from the DfT on ECAC:

Is the UK in ECAC post-Brexit
Dear
Thank you for your letter of 18th of April 2021 on the status of the UK’s membership in European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC). I am responding as a member of the DfT Aviation Safety Team.
I can confirm that the UK remains a member of ECAC and there are no intentions to terminate the membership.
Yours sincerely
Darius Mikulenas
Aviation Safety Policy Manager
Department for Transport

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does anyone know what is the procedure for a UK PPL PART-FCL holder with Class 2 medical what is the procedure for getting an EASA Class 2 medical?
Is that:
1. Initial,
2. Renewal or
3. Revalidation?
My current Class 2 medical was issued in December 2020.
I’m assuming that would be 1?

Thanks!

Last Edited by arj1 at 26 May 14:30
EGTR

Do you mean a class2 medical? Otherwise I can’t think of a Class2 under EASA part FCL.

France

gallois wrote:

Do you mean a class2 medical? Otherwise I can’t think of a Class2 under EASA part FCL.

Yes! Edited the original post.

EGTR

Isn’t there the old issue with the country issuing the medical having to be the same as the country owning your license?

So, if you could just convert your UK issued Class 2 to an EASA Class 2 (which must require an EASA approved UK AME, or an AME based in the EU) you would have to do a SOLI i.e. a change of the State of license issue. Is that not correct?

The glory days of the “Initial Class 1 in Hungary”, so beloved by thousands of European airline pilots, especially those who had to have a “couple of attempts” at the colour vision test, are long gone

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Isn’t there the old issue with the country issuing the medical having to be the same as the country owning your license?

So, if you could just convert your UK issued Class 2 to an EASA Class 2 (which must require an EASA approved UK AME, or an AME based in the EU) you would have to do a SOLI i.e. a change of the State of license issue. Is that not correct?

I cannot do a SOLI anymore. The only route for me to get an EASA license is to
a) Get Class 2 medical from an EASA AME in the UK, then
b) Pass 2 theory exams and then
c) (subject to having 100hrs total) to pass the initial LPC with an EASA ATO in the UK (there are some nearby, one even at EGTR, allegedly).

EGTR

My class 2 makes no reference of whether it is initial, revalidation or renewal.
The AME signs the medical card, licence call it what you will. Puts the form in an addressed envelope and gives it to me to post to the DGAC
It always amazes me how the postman can ever read the address.
A list of AMEs can be found on the DGAC website, but I think they can only attach this to a French licence. I may be wrong.
The cost including ECG is €75 but I understand some are cheaper and some more expensive. And if you are younger and don’t need an ECG the medical is a lot cheaper.

France

gallois wrote:

The cost including ECG is €75 but I understand some are cheaper and some more expensive. And if you are younger and don’t need an ECG the medical is a lot cheaper.

I know someone who paid €225 last week for an initial issue with no ECG! My renewal with ECG and audiogram last month was €170.

EIMH, Ireland

Have you thought about doing your conversion in an EU country? You may find it valuable to talk to an instructor in the EU. Perhaps Airborne Again or Snoopy might be able to advise you about going to Sweden or Austria rather than trying to do it in the UK.

France
Sign in to add your message