Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bulgaria!!

Busy planning a trip to Israel ultimately, but routing UK, Croatia, Bulgaria, Cyprus and from there by commercial flight to Tel Aviv (the Israelis wont let me enter their airspace).

I am puzzled over the bureaucracy being posed in Bulgaria as I have read elsewhere on these forums that Plovdiv Bulgaria is a great place for a refuelling stop.

I have obtained landing permission from Plovdiv Airport. They want E40 landing and E50 handling, which is fine. However, they are being very obtuse about refuelling as it seems there will be a E200 fuelling charge unless I contract with the supplier on the airport.

The bigger hurdle is they say I must have permission from Bulgaria CAA for the flights!! I have emailed them and they are demanding I send them my insurance and airworthiness docs.

I will do so as this is a trip I very much want to make.

But has anyone else seen this level of bureaucracy in Bulgaria?

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I do a fuel or overnight stop in LBSF Sofia on my way to Israel, and I’ve used LBBG on the way back, and I definitely didn’t have such bureaucracy. Prices at LBSF are reasonable only if you can show/prove that you are AOPA member (AOPA of any country).

Also expect an invoice from BULATSA (the navigation service provider) for about 13.50 EUR.

Is the plane certified, or an experimental/ultralight/…?

Last Edited by lionel at 11 Oct 13:22
ELLX

I come from Bulgaria but I live in and have a license from Switzerland. I wanted to go flying in Bulgaria, taking my parents and friends for a ride, etc. I tried to figure out the simple question of which airports are in an operating condition, where to find charts, etc. and I was absolutely unable to do so, despite being there and trying to talk to the people on the spot. I was also told that my EASA license is not valid and/or I shall do check rides, etc. to rent airplanes (registered in Serbia because of the bureaucracy in Bulgaria). I completely gave up and decided to not fly there. Admittedly, this was about 5 years ago but I don’t expect things to be much better these days.

On a more optimistic and practical note, I know that @Mooney_Driver did fly in Bulgaria and knows how things work there, so maybe he will give you some tips.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 11 Oct 13:24
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Buckerfan wrote:

The bigger hurdle is they say I must have permission from Bulgaria CAA for the flights!! I have emailed them and they are demanding I send them my insurance and airworthiness docs.

That’s what AIP-Bulgaria says as well. If you are a noncommercial flight overflying Bulgaria, then you don’t need permission, but if you’re landing you do. It’s amazing that Bulgaria can have such a rule given that it is an EU member!

They also require all international VFR flights to cross the border at a minimum of 3300 ft AGL. (And only at specified points.)

What are they afraid of?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

To update:

• the permission from Bulgarian CAA to fly into their airspace and land was quick to obtain. I emailed [email protected] attaching scans of my insurance and airworthiness docs and had a positive reply in about 5 minutes.
  • there was a miscommunication about the refuelling charge if using the airport directly at Plovdiv to arrange fuel. It is a 5% charge (not E200). This avoids having to contact the refuelling company directly ahead of time.
  • price for Jet A is about E1.70 per litre all included if I understand correctly.
Last Edited by Buckerfan at 12 Oct 10:12
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

They also require all international VFR flights to cross the border at a minimum of 3300 ft AGL

If it helps where that comes from: in France, 3300ft AGL refers to min altitude for VFR above:

• 3.6km > village > 1.2km
  • 10000 persons or animals (birds, fish)
  • Natural beauty area or protected area

This is not in-line with SERA: those bird nesting in Calanque Areas up to 3300ft AGL are not managing restricted or controlled airspace

I think these were some legacy ICAO rules of the air at some point? in Annex2 Capter4.6 now, there is 1000ft above towns and congested areas and 500ft elsewhere

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Oct 14:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

If it helps where that comes from: in France, 3300ft AGL refers to min altitude for VFR above:

I rather think it is because 3300 ft ≈ 1000 m. Bulgaria, being an ex-east bloc country would have used the metric system until the Soviet Union collapse. (Indeed AIP-Bulgaria says both 3300 ft and 1000 m.)

I think these were some legacy ICAO rules of the air at some point? in Annex2 Capter4.6 now, there is 1000ft above towns and congested areas and 500ft elsewhere

If there were then it must have been before 1983. In the Bulgarian case I rather think it is to ensure radio and radar contact. For what reason, I can’t see.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

French ones are from 1957, indeed it’s metric 500m, 1000m, 1500m…

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/loda/article_lc/LEGIARTI000024751804

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Oct 21:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
My flight was too long ago to be relevant, but what I am seeing here is a vibrant GA scene which in recent years has gotten several nice GA airports and a CAA which is doing everything they can to help.

Plovdiv airport used to be extremely easy going, yes you need to email to the ministry of transport, but the answer is always positive in 5 mins or so. If you state in the request that you want to visit several airports, they simply give “no objection” and paste it to all airports.

In recent times I’ve seen many people go there without any problem. VFR and IFR. Yes, AOPA membership is necessary.

@Vladimir

Admittedly, this was about 5 years ago but I don’t expect things to be much better these days.

As for charts e.t.c contact the CAA directly and you get the full stuff. They are more than helpful. They had a stand on the Aero in FHA last time I was there and gave away the ICAO chart for free. The rest is on the internet.

As for flying there, there are several clubs there, the largest one in Lesnovo, near Sofia. They can sort you out. Also AOPA Bulgaria can. Talk to Rosen Marinov. Checkflights you need everywhere, also in Switzerland. You need a validation to fly here, which is a formality via the CAA.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 13 Oct 08:00
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

With encouragement and local knowledge from @Mooney_Driver about accommodation on the Black Sea coast, I planned and flew a trip with a group of 13 aircraft in 2018. A single aircraft should not be a big deal.

As mentioned, AIP and charts are on the AIS web site (www.bulatsa.com/en).

AOPA is very helpful if you have issues or just questions. They have direct connections to ATS and the ministry. One member is an active ATC controller.
AOPA Bulgaria
For example, ATS was rejecting all our flight plans (VFR) into Bulgaria, wanting all kinds of information before takeoff. AOPA sorted it out with a phone call. As @Mooney_Driver mentions, the bureaucrats are generally helpful but their knowledge and activity is centred on CAT regulations, not GA. Also, some of the regulations still date from the communist era and haven’t yet been brought up to current EU and EASA requirements… at least that was true in 2018. AOPA is working hard to get that changed.

ATS is very friendly and helpful when in the air.

Lesnovo LBLS near Sofia is AOPA homebase and has Avgas. Primorsko LBPR also has Avgas. It is on the Black Sea near Burgas LBBG which has customs.
Both Lesnovo and Primorsko are beautiful GA airfields. AOPA has been trying to get customs for GA there, but as far as I know haven’t yet succeeded. Maybe check with them.

Last Edited by chflyer at 13 Oct 13:52
LSZK, Switzerland
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message