Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Calais LFAC fly-in 04/oct/2014

Landed.

Nice wx here, and got greeted by the very nice airport manager. So far the aircraft is 100% French

Probably no table unless you booked.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The only apparently non-French fly-in visitors were myself and StevenR and his friend in his Commander.

We left around 1230Z, as the band of weather

was moving in from the UK.

The flight back to the UK was fine – at about +6C, mostly IMC, a bit of turbulence, no lightning, and pretty solid rain.

Administrator

Nice flying conditions on the way there

The nuclear power station near Lydd, from FL070 – not a bad pic for a phone

Frontal weather on the way back

Administrator

Extremely unhappy I couldn’t make it – please don’t ask for details – plane and pilot are physically ok.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The nuclear power station near Lydd, from FL070 – not a bad pic for a phone

As long as you didn’t get this close to the one near Calais!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I think FL070 is OK for the French nuclear areas – they are normally about 1000m AGL (3200ft) IIRC.

BTW I think the EuroGA autorouter’s tracking facility is really reliable and much more so than EuroFPLs or, reportedly, Rocketroute’s which appears to use indirect data. The tracking for both flights was never lost despite squawk changes:

The second one also shows quite dense samples near Shoreham… not sure why Eurocontrol should be generating denser samples in this case.

Administrator

The lunch would be familiar to British pilots

Administrator

I didn’t make it in the end – decided to exercise my new IR by flying to Germany instead.

Coming back through that front was a non-event even in a TB10 – the ADL gave me confidence that all the interesting stuff was well to the north, and that there was (and had been) no lightning.

There was a wonderful gap at FL100 where the convective activity topped out:

Got a bit wet descending into Biggin, but no ice (freezing was at FL100) and only mild turbulence:

Can’t believe how easy the IR makes everything!

EGEO
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message