Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Calais LFAC Immigration/Customs - PN may be insufficient and a passport stamp is mandatory

Peter wrote:

“Stamps everywhere” for Brits started on 1/1/2021, and inserting them into passports is the JOB of the police at a port of entry (any Immigration airport) and they do not have the right to refuse to issue them.

Peter, after Brexit brits don’t always get stamps even after CAT flights or for Eurostar. You keep your tickets/GAR/GENDEC/ as a proof and that’s it.

EGTR

Sure; we agree. Stamps cannot be actually used for any legal purpose.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of what is behind Peter G’s post. Why? Because this kind of thing has the potential of closing off a lot of presently-accessible French airports, to UK pilots. And if Macron loses the election, Le Touquet will likely lose the police presence, and then what happens? It will go “24hr PN” but only of the police want to turn up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here is the comment in SkyDemon, seems to fall under “well made up story”, for most Brits pilots it should be carry as before

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Apr 20:35
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OMG.

Not sure I will be pursuing this line of enquiry! He is/was the head of CAA pilot prosecution/sentencing for infringements.

I have emailed the airport.

Administrator

Likely a mistake on name? or someone else? or just some fake claim/comment?

You can’t run **** CAA policy if you are used to flying to Calais…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Apr 22:16

No response from the airport yet. I sent them this thread for comment.

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

You don’t need to see customs face to face in Calais (unless you are looking to import an aircraft), all you have to do is to PNR and land in AIU airport (like Calais) and depart, no legal need to see anyone, see French AIP GEN1.2.1, "the aircraft is put in temporary admission by the simple act of landing’, see AIP GEN ‘aircraft is considered… if there is no customs intervention, the declaration for its placement under the temporary admission system is considered as accepted and the release as granted when the border is crossed "

I’m sure that Ibra is RIGHT.
If one has fulfilled the requirements of the field’s AIP & Website (e.g. GAR’s, email notification of passenger details etc.), and the Customs/Immigration do not turn up, you have fulfilled what is required of you and it would be very difficult (impossible?) for the French authorities to come back afterwards.
IF – for some reason e.g. you need a ‘confirmatory’ departure stamp – then going to another field where there are Customs might be required; but that is an exceptional circumstance for a particular individual.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

IF – for some reason e.g. you need a ‘confirmatory’ departure stamp – then going to another field where there are Customs might be required; but that is an exceptional circumstance for a particular individual.

My guess someone asked how to get a stamp as he really need one (for some individual reason) and he was told a very natural & logical answer…

The same thing happens if you bring 43 litres of beer you have to land at Southend (or drink 1L while you fly ), you can’t go to Rochester and go home if no one turns up: you need to declare & pay duty on 1L, you take the car drive to visit HMRC office or fly to Southend

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Apr 09:19

Still no reply from the airport. Will email them again.

If one has fulfilled the requirements of the field’s AIP & Website (e.g. GAR’s, email notification of passenger details etc.), and the Customs/Immigration do not turn up, you have fulfilled what is required of you and it would be very difficult (impossible?) for the French authorities to come back afterwards.

I agree; that is how the system is supposed to work, everywhere.

So where did that man’s report come from? He demanded removal of his name from EuroGA; curiously most instances of it were posted by another former poster here who also sits/sat on the CAA sentencing committee… I doubt the name is fake because whoever did that would get “I will speak to my legal team in the morning.” (as I got in another context).

That could apply to people travelling on a Visa.

Administrator

Why do you need a stamp? In France you are not supposed to get a stamp (on the French side) if you are a resident, if you have a second home and a visa.
If you are worried about the 90 days in the EU in any 180 then you can get a visa and again in France you don’t need a stamp.
IMO as biometrics come much more into force, there will be no necessity for a stamp.
PN means C +I have a record of when you came and when you left. I believe there is a shared database system within the EU where such things can be cross checked.
So unless something triggers an anomaly there is no reason for immigration officers to come and check you out or stamp your passport. In many countries around the world passport stamping went out years ago. If you wanted to have a stamp to show your friends you had been somewhere you often had to persuade immigration to drag the ink pad out of the drawer to give you one.
When it comes to customs you are on your honour. Eg you go through the green channel and if the customs officer thinks you are up to no good his/her nose tells them and you get pulled over. If you have something you go through the red channel and pay the duties.
It’s no different, surely, for GA going in a Calais or any other Pof E.
Are GA pilots perhaps making too much of this?

France
Sign in to add your message