Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can a pilot get busted for an allegedly illegal act described in a pilot forum?

@Peter, if you watch the 2vids posted, the guy says someone complained to the FAA in both cases.

we’ve had helpful contributions from ATC regarding for example Paris airspace etc

Yes, not UK ones

Should have made that clearer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For example they could have busted thousands of SR22 pilots flying without DME or ADF – very easy low hanging fruit.

Just curious as to why?

DME and ADF are not required equipment unless you want to fly an NDB and/or DME approach?
Many UK IAPs that include the “DME” in the title also have a note saying “If DME not equipped inform ATC and radar ranges will be provided” or something similar, hence implying that it is not absolutely required to have a DME?

In fact, the list of minimum equipment for Part-NCO IFR is surprisingly sparse:

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 01 Apr 09:21
EDDW, Germany

They used to be, for years.

Administrator

Alpha_Floor wrote:

In fact, the list of minimum equipment for Part-NCO IFR is surprisingly sparse:

That paragraph doesn’t apply to navigation equipment. You should also check NCO.IDE.A.195!

NCO.IDE.A.195, Navigation equipment
(a) Aeroplanes operated over routes that cannot be navigated by reference to visual landmarks shall be equipped with any navigation equipment necessary to enable them to proceed in accordance with:
..(1) the ATS flight plan; if applicable; and
..(2) the applicable airspace requirements.
(b) Aeroplanes shall have sufficient navigation equipment to ensure that, in the event of the failure of one item of equipment at any stage of the flight, the remaining equipment shall allow safe navigation in accordance with (a), or an appropriate contingency action, to be completed safely.
(c) Aeroplanes operated on flights in which it is intended to land in IMC shall be equipped with suitable equipment capable of providing guidance to a point from which a visual landing can be performed. This equipment shall be capable of providing such guidance for each aerodrome at which it is intended to land in IMC and for any designated alternate aerodromes.
(d) For PBN operations the aircraft shall meet the airworthiness certification requirements for the appropriate navigation specification.
(e) Aeroplanes shall be equipped with surveillance equipment in accordance with the applicable airspace requirements

But it’s correct that no navigations system is required unless you actually need to use it.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Apr 09:48
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

But it’s correct that no navigations system is required unless you actually need to use it.

Thanks Airborne.

I think I’ll just stop referencing laws and regulations because no matter how hard I try I always stand corrected and don’t want to mislead anyone else by accident. :)

EDDW, Germany

Re the non-pursuit of the SR22 DME/ADF situation, we did that before e.g. here and I reckon there is a policy to avoid clarifying this one.

Every CAA must have a policy on what to enforce, because each time they lose a case, they create case law which is usually an unwelcome development.

That policy will also extend to what to do about social media posted material.

Administrator
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message