Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can you explain tear drop entry into the hold at high speed? It doesn't work!

I am completely lost. I use simulator, but it should be accurate. Say FL200, speed 265 knots, hold on 330 radial, right turns. If I start tear drop entry on 300 radial going outbound for 1 minute(maybe 1.30s I should use?) and I start right turn. It takes ages to make a turn and this speed and 25 degrees of bank. By 330 radial nose points about 90 degrees of. 1 minute at 265 knots doesn’t compensate for hugely increased radius…

Last Edited by Turbavykas at 30 Aug 21:09

When would you hold at 265 knots?

EGTK Oxford

It’s a max holding speed at this level. It won’t be much better at 220 which is kind of optimal for 737

So how long are you supposed to go outbound at that speed.

EGTK Oxford

I tried 1.5min but still got 20 degrees overshoot. And radius of turn is TAS dependent so it will be worse at higher altitude.

It is 1.5 minute legs at or above FL140 according to ICAO PANS-OPS. And 25 degrees is not going to cut it for a standard rate turn at that speed. An approximate formula to calculate bank required for a rate one turn is: TAS/10 + 7.

So at 265 kts you’d have to bank at approximately 33.5 degrees.

Exactly you need std rate.

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Aug 21:38
EGTK Oxford

Do big jets hold with 33 deg banks?

I was in a full motion CJ3 sim today. Nothing procedural works quite the same at 250 kt

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The old Turn Coordinator/Turn and Bank is your friend for standard rate turn. One of the most useful instruments in the panel.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 30 Aug 22:25

But the rules all say standard turn or a maximum of 25 or 30 degree bank (according to type or category of aircraft iirc)

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message