Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

Peter wrote:

No need to be rude

Apologies if I came across as rude. That was not my intention.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A nice windfall for our American friends! Always good not having to depend on foreign countries for vital raw materials. Although who knows what the future brings as to materials needed for batteries. Salt hopefully.

https://netl.doe.gov/node/13692

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

And it comes along with the natural gas and oil that will be burned to charge the EV batteries that may someday be produced.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 14:40

At least they haven’t disabled all of their nuclear power like Germany did…

And I’m pretty sure they’ll be the first ones to spread particles in the stratosphere to slow down global warming (buying everyone precious time to decarbonize).

The US today is IMO one of the only western country (possibly with the UK) actually looking out for itself and planning long term for independence and energy. In France noone in the administration even thinks about what needs to be done in the next 50 years, let alone take concrete action.

Last Edited by maxbc at 14 May 14:52
France

loco wrote:

Tariffs may be applied retroactively, that is, to cars bought now. In the US they’re taxed +25% already.

So the end consumer would be charged tariffs for cars bought before a finding for failures of a company? i would think the courts have to say something about that.

Lots of tariffs are simply protectionist measures to keep a market for the internal producers. One more reason why EV’s are as expensive as they are. And not only EV’s. When I was looking once a few years back to replace my car, I found that the same car in the US cost 25k which cost 60 k here. (Camry Hybrid). I was tempted to buy a brand new one there in one of the outlets specialized on European customers and have it shipped and driving it from Rotterdam to home. Even with shipping and taxes it would have been 20k cheaper than here. There are quite a few import cars around here.

Still, there are others coming from far east, such as Hyundai and other Korean cars.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message