Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Centurion 2.0 and 2.0s Current State of Play

Could anyone give me an update of the current state of play with these engines. TBR I think is 1200 for the 2.0s and 1500 for then 2.0 but what’s the current time on the gearbox and clutch?

You are correct on the TBR’s.

As to the gearbox and clutch, things get a bit cloudy. This is how it was explained to me:

Apparently the original versions of the gearbox and clutch are still 300 hrs TBR. In the meantime Technify has fielded new designs. The new gearbox has a heat exchanger fitted to it that increases the working temp of the oil, meant to increase longevity. The clutch is now of a ‘two-mass flywheel’ design, also more durable. AFAIK these improvements have not yet officially been certified for 600 hrs, but it should now be imminent.

Obviously, if you buy a new engine now, you’d get the new designs and you can expect 600 hrs TBR for these components. However, for existing engines, they will sell you a new gearbox (same price) but not the new clutch. And the new gearbox is not certified for 600 hrs TBR if used in conjunction with the old clutch, so you are still limited to 300 hrs for the combo.. Happened to me recently, and of course I was not amused. I spoke to someone at Technify who understood my frustration and told me he hopes that in future they would be offer the 600 hrs also for existing customers.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Is there a chance for 2.0s to get at least 1500 TBR? Comparing to AE300 (TBO 1500 and probably more in future) TBR 1200 doesn’t look so good.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The Centurion 2.0s is significantly lighter and smaller than the Austro, giving you a better power to weight ratio. Therefore you have to put the TBR into perspective. Thielert have historically started with very low TBRs which they were able to increase over time. This must be the LBA regime. The Centurion 2.0s is rather new and they probably do not have many engines that have reached the 1200h for dissection and evaluation.

SMA is under the DGAC regime, they have received a very generous TBO right from the start and are at 2300h now. I bet that with the initial experience with Thielert, LBA are not fond of lightly issuing TBR extensions but request solid data to be produced.

I’ve heard the clutch and gearbox TBR HSS now gone up to 600 hours can anyone confirm?

Heard from whom? Has that person seen anything in writing? Nothing on their web site, and there is where these things usually appear.
Also, see my posting of 21 April. For new engines only?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message