Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna Wing Spar carry-through Inspections FAA AD and impact on EASA SIDs

I am reading the details of this FAA AD and get confused how this merges with the existing SID inspections on Cessna’s imposed by EASA.
For you Cessna gurus. Are the service bulletins referenced in the FAA AD, SEL-57-08 Rev (X), SEL-57-09 Rev (X), SEL-57-06 Rev (X) and SEL-57-07 embedded in the EASA SID inspections?

Maybe I am getting confused but the FAA indicates Eddy current inspections in ALL cases, is this being imposed by the EASA SID requirement: qoute:

The FAA has revised paragraph (g)(4) of this AD to allow airplanes without detected corrosion,
cracking, or other damage, or evidence of previous corrosion removal to do the eddy current
inspection required by paragraph (h) of this AD within 200 hours TIS after the effective date of this
AD or within 12 calendar months after the effective date of this AD, whichever occurs first

So how is this FAA AD addressed on EASA AD level are they aligned?
2023_02986_pdf

Last Edited by Vref at 09 Aug 09:26
EBST

EASA did not impose SID restrictions. Textron issued and you may follow them. For NCO/ML ops/aircraft the SIDs are not mandatory.

EASA lists the AD here:
https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/US-2023-02-17

See 18 here on alignment:
https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/downloads/44540/en

Last Edited by Snoopy at 09 Aug 09:30
always learning
LO__, Austria

Okay thank you for that. Item 18 clarifies it indeed. Yes I saw the FAA Ad there indeed published on the EASA website.
But that means in order to have compliance ALL referenced Cessna’s in the FAA AD on an EASA Reg are affected by this mandatory AD hence Eddy current inspections…

EBST

Vref wrote:

So how is this FAA AD addressed on EASA AD level are they aligned?

ADs issued by the country of design are usually always adopted by other countries. The only case I can recall when this did not happen was in the 80s before a change in US legislation limited the liability of aircraft manufacturers. The Swedish CAA didn’t adopt a Cessna (or possibly Piper) AD with the stated reason that they though the AD was motivated by liability concerns rather than actual airworthiness issues.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So you Cessna owners you have ALL booked your inspections this year, the AD is mandatory from March 23?

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/february/16/spar-inspection-results-raise-faa-concern

EBST

This is a one time inspection. Almost all Cessna 210’s and 177’s were inspected when this 1st came out 2 years ago.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

his is a one time inspection. Almost all Cessna 210’s and 177’s were inspected when this 1st came out 2 years ago.

AD is final from Feb 23, exactly that is my point how detailed are the inspections. All had an Eddy current inspection and reported back?
(k) Reporting Requirement
Within 30 days after completing the inspections required by this AD or within 30 days after the
effective date of this AD, whichever occurs later, report to the FAA by email ( [email protected])
all information requested in the Carry-Thru Spar Inspection Report Attachment to Textron SEL-57-
08R2 or Textron SEL-57-09R1, as applicable to your airplane model

Last Edited by Vref at 09 Aug 10:43
EBST
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message