Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Chamonix aerial tour

Am hoping to fly from Annecy to Chamonix and back in my C182 this month as part of a France vacation trip. Quick questions – can anyone recommend a good/the best route?

Also, at what sort of max altitudes do the (many!) parascenders/paragliders tend to fly? I was thinking of using my O2D2 oxygen and flying at around FL120/130 – would that keep me well above them?

Grateful for advice!
Stephen

United Kingdom

I used to fly from Sion (about 25nm from Chamonix but in Switzerland). In my limited experience, paragliders often soar on the windward side of ridges and achieve altitudes greater than FL120. The launch sites are often at around 8,000 to 10,000 ft, so FL120 is not far away. Powered aircraft generally fly on the right hand side of the valley, so great care is required if that is also the windward side.

From Sion, in a DR400, I used to route over the Col de Forclaz towards Chamonix when just out for a scenic flight on a good weatehr day. However, if heading west as far as Annecy I’d generally go around the south shore of lake Geneva, underneath the Geneva TMA – not quite as scenic but much easier.

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

If you don’t mind mixing with birds, microlights, gliders, paragliders and walking cables at 6kft you can go Annecy, Alberville, LaPlagne then by 10kft in BourgStMX then to Chamonix via Megeve, Schallances (closed now), Annemasse then Annecy

At FL120/130 you should be above the whole mess and it’s not comfortable to fly SEP in thermic or wave days when paragliders & gliders can reach above 10kft

Early morning before 11am seems to be the right time to do it

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Aug 19:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message