Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cleaning aircraft (and what is wrong with using avgas to do it?)

It seems to work pretty well!

This US AOPA article mentions some other stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Avgas is just mineral spirits with lead. I would not use it too much because of the lead, it’s poisonous.

For most external applications I use A-Glaze.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Your polish will probably come off, but it will with any high concentration aviation cleaner.

Avgas works very well to get oil streaks off the belly of the aircraft. Use your fuel drain samples

Last Edited by Archie at 28 Jun 10:53

Jet fuel is a better product for this purpose – it’s less toxic, less flammable and is somewhat better at cleaning off thick layers of dirt – probably because it dries up slower. I use it in a handheld pressure sprayer.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It’s okay to remove oil from the belly, but other than that it will remove every polish you have ever applied and leave the a/c unprotected. And the lead is really poisenous.

My favourite at the moment: Liqui Moly Aircraft Cleaner and especially “SPEED WAX”. It comes in a spray can and you just spray it on and polish it with a soft cloth … whole upper side of my Cirrus takes less than 30 minutes and it really produces a nuce shine and a nice surface One can is about € 15 but lasts for tow complete treatments … and I do it maybe every 3 months. Which would not be necessary, but I love the shine :-) Feels faster too!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 28 Jun 14:03

I’ve always understood that 100L contains lead and aromatics that damage acrylics. You used to be able to clean windscreens with avgas but that was many years ago before 100L.

for decals etc I use e-glaze as @peter_mundy, for a general cleaning http://www.vistalcleaningproducts.co.uk/, and in general have good expirience with maritime cleaner/wax combinations like yachticon

Last Edited by stardust_aviation at 28 Jun 17:47

Paraffin (UK) kerosine elsewhere, sold by DIY shops, is more human-friendly. I used it last week for our annual under-fuselage oil removal, the day before our Permit Inspection. EN228 motor fuel is cheaper than avgas, but more expensive than kerosine. All aviation fuels have harmful additives not needed for cleaning.
I was cleaning fabric-covered wood which was also painted.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Onedrywash is the best product I have encountered so far, both for hull/wings and windscreen. As I am in the automotive business, Liqui Moly has sent me a sample of their new aero products. I found the speed wax and windshield cleaner disappointing in comparison, but their heavy-duty cleaner worked very well in removing the years old residue from the underside of my aircraft.

Last Edited by blueline at 28 Jun 22:16
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message