Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Colin Hales KR2 in Russia (@Adam, Aero Commander)

I love YouTube makes it feel like one big happy family.

KHTO, LHTL

Adam will know, but the 520 is likely to be ok on ethanol free mogas.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

They run it on Mogas. It’s certified for it. Benefit of geared engines – they don’t have to have such high compression to deliver the power, so they can run on really crappy gas and still not detonate. That’s why the Russians love all the old geared engine stuff.

AdamFrisch wrote:

That’s why the Russians love all the old geared engine stuff

Makes sense. Low fuel octane does explain why the Russian approach to making (for instance) 360 HP involves a geared, nine cylinder engine, the M14P. Octane is the resistance of the fuel breaking down due to pressure, time and temperature as combustion proceeds across the cylinder bore. Higher rpm geared engines, particularly with relatively small cylinders and low compression, will tolerate worse quality fuel.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Oct 04:18

Alas bad news: Colin has had a crash in Japan and been injured.

I gather he walked away but as the dust settled, discovered he had some serious injuries. He’s now in hospital in Japan and one of his friends has organised a fundraiser for him_*:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/colin-hales

I’ve enjoyed vicariously living through his accounts of his travels over the last few years, and it’s very upsetting that this accident has happened just after he managed to overcome bureaucracy in Japan that had kept him grounded for many months. On a personal level he helped me a lot when my heart led my head in buying a Turbulent which turned out to have no end of faults – some of which might have seriously spoiled my day.

Anyway, here’s to hoping he makes a full recovery.

* I can’t personally vouch for the link but people such as Mary Meagher on other fora have vouched for the creator.
I hope it’s OK for me to post the link here – please remove it if not.

Last Edited by kwlf at 13 Jul 09:22

There are worse places the engine might have stopped than over a golf course.

Egnm, United Kingdom

I’ll put it here, for @AdamFrisch… start watching @ 28:10…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Aug 12:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico

Ha, great find, Bosco! Nice (but very untrue) to be referred to as “famous Hollywood cameraman”. I’m glad to hear Sergei flies her regularly. I also agree she’s as easy and forgiving to fly as Cessna 152 as he says.

AdamFrisch wrote:

famous Hollywood cameraman

You’re famous enough with us here!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

You’re famous enough with us here!

Yeah, but for all the wrong reasons!

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message