Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Collecting a full IFR departure clearance into CAS while still on the ground

At St Yan the tower controller would get your clearance from the relevant approach sector controller and you would get your IFR departure clearance accordingly.In the case of St Yan, the tower controller may himself be the approach sector controller, and he will coordinate a hand-over with the next sector which I assume will have received the departure message.

What matters to you is that once you have your departure clearance, you are cleared into the big blue sky.

LFPT, LFPN

I remember VFR departures from Aschaffenburg EDFC where the AFISO called Langen RADAR on the phone and coordinated with them. I got the first frequency and squawk but no clearance. However, shortly after takeoff Langen RADAR was already asking for me on the frequency and I got the actual clearance on the radio where it gets recorded and I have to read it back. As this happens in close proximity to Frankfurt EDDF and one flies below the final approach into EDDF the initial clearance is usually a vector and some climb instructions that takes one out of class E and into class C.

In the US the dialog over the phone is recorded and one does speak the same way as over the frequency. There is no harm saying Hello in the beginning but the person on the other hands wants to hear IFR speak and answers in kind. As stated before, it ends with “clearance void if not airborne by hh:mm”.

The whole topic is a mess. It seems to be related to the airport certification as well. For example: Mengen EDTM has an IAP for runway 26. It’s an LPV. However, there is no circle to land on runway 08. One has to cancel IFR before breaking off the approach

Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

I remember VFR departures from Aschaffenburg EDFC where the AFISO called Langen RADAR on the phone and coordinated with them. I got the first frequency and squawk but no clearance.

That is typical of airports without instrument procedures where you depart VFR. St Yan mentioned by Peter has IFR procedures, including departures (they may be multi-directional, i.e. a climb straight ahead to a certain altitude followed by a turn en-rout)

LFPT, LFPN

Once I departed Halfpenny Green after hours with a filed IFR flightplan heading North and I planned to pickup the clearance from London info once airborne….but I was initially squawking the listening code for Birmingham (and tuned to them obviously)….I guess they saw my tail number on mode S and called me with the clearance without me having to call them first…I was impressed…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message