Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Comm Port Assignments

I have a laptop running Navbox and I want to use the moving map feature. Nav box uses comm ports 1-8 but my Bluetooth GNS 5870 GPS uses comm ports 36-38.I need to change the comm ports settings in the laptop which is running XP Home Edition and unfortunately does not show a “port settings tab”. I could wipe my laptop and install XP Pro but would rather not. Does anyone know a way around this by perhaps modifying the registry?

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

Or you could step into the present and get Windows 7, which is at least properly supported by Microsoft rather than the relic that is XP? ;)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

It is a relic but it is stable

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

All my PCs and all work PCs run XP SP3. It works. After all, an O/S is no more than a bit of software running on a machine which allows you to run other software tools.

I am sure the setting will be in the registry.

This purports to give the answer but I thought that feature is not exposed in XP Home.

However another way might be to convert Home to Pro. That is also a registry setting! A google on

converting xp home to pro

turns up loads of hits. Hopefully this won’t mess up any config, which is what would happen if you bought an XP Pro install CD and applied that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Control panel / system / device manager from memory should enable you to change the com port

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message