Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Commercial posting guidelines

10 Posts

This discussion picks up from the Cirrus thread

Was he allowed to post given his financial interest in the product? Peter how do you govern the posting rules to avoid undue “marketing” behaviour but still allow people to provide information that might be valuable to readers? I guess it is not easy.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

I would very much like to see technical posts from the lead engineer behind the Cirrus Jet, especially when they’re as useful and interesting as Ed’s postings.

2nd hand marketing info from dealers of delivery position, trying to fuel the bubble, are not exactly the same.

Read the Guidelines

The poster needs to contribute, which means post stuff that is solid, not marketing hype.

No; it’s not easy. One gets a number of people who toss in an empty one-liner here and there, or pull out some 1 year old thread and add a one-liner to the end of it, and then throw in a commercial post. I delete those if I see them. Not many, fortunately.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Solid” is not a good criteria.

Better solution: Anybody can post anything but has to disclose his professional interest in the matter in his profile.

Ok I will read the guidelines.

I like Flyer59’s suggestion that people can post, as long as they disclose their interests. That makes sense.

That is why I declared my holding of delivery positions. I am not trying to “fuel the bubble” or do “second hand marketing”.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Let me replace “solid” with “informative”.

Administrator

Peter, I have read the guidelines and they seem very sensible to me.

I particularly liked the suggestion to “attack the post and not the poster”.

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Peter how do I start a new thread for the XTI VTOL aircraft?

http://www.xtiaircraft.com/trifan-600/

I am not linked to them in any way (;

EGKB Biggin Hill London

Anybody can post anything but has to disclose his professional interest in the matter in his profile.

That isn’t possible because you then get everybody flooding the forum with commercial posts. That then creates numerous problems.

One of them is what to do about posts which criticise a given company, but are truthful. This is a big problem in GA where the quality of maintenance and related work is of highly variable quality. And some companies are very quick to threaten litigation. All the big players monitor EuroGA for such posts. The forum would become a “shoe-licking” site, and I would have even more work to do than I have now.

Another one is that it degrades the site to an “advertorial” – like the crap which the industrial mags are full of in my line of work.

So we choose to allow commercial posters but only if they contribute generally to the forum, which I think is very reasonable. It encourages informative posts which is what EuroGA is about, and in return the poster gets business, which is good.

Administrator

Ok thanks for clarification. Got to hand it to you for setting up and running a site like this.

I am now getting an appreciation for the amount of work and hassle it can be (not to mention the parenting skills needed!!)

Very good work though as the site has so much valuable info. Obviously a labor of love.

I am going to the Gasco safety evening in London on November 12 (with some other pilots) and it would be great to meet if you were attending.

I’m sure your familiar but here is the link: http://www.gasco.org.uk/safety-evenings.aspx

EGKB Biggin Hill London
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message