Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Conversions of medicals - EASA/UK/ICAO

Apologies if there’s a thread on this somewhere else, but does anyone know: if I hold (say) an EASA medical (which as the certificate says is ICAO compliant) is this a valid medical for a CAA or other ICAO licence?

Clearly in EASA land, you need to hold the medical in the same state as licence issue, but if you have an ICAO medical somewhere else, do you need a valid EASA medical?

I ask because I have both a UK and Hungarian medical. If for whatever reason my UK one is revoked, can I simply use the Hungarian medical? I struggle to see a situation where one becomes invalid and the other is still ok, but worth asking the question (particularly if one simply expires)

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

CAA should recognise EASA papers until 2022 but that probably means to fly G-reg you need EASA medical + EASA PPL from the same country? EASA-reg can be flown on EASA papers under any combination and CAA has zero say on that (with few caveats on based aircrafts)

My UK CAA medical was deemed valid in the eyes of France DGAC as SOLI was done pre-2020 with no need to re-print it as “EASA medical” by my DGAC/AME until the next 5 years renewal in 2023, however, that paper was not valid in the eyes of CAA beyond the transition period as they no longer hold my medical records

While EASA PPL was valid in G-reg for 2 years, I inquired on how to fly G-reg on NPPL or legacy CAAPPL, the answer was no, from 2022 to 2023 and I have to PMD or get a CAA medical, as EASA medical is not valid

So I was holding an “EASA medical” that was not accepted by CAA until they issued me a “UK medical” after Apr21 , they re-issued me with Class 2 medical on basis on EASA medical and name of CAA AME, the form to use is DRG1217 “former UK issued EU medical certificate holders”

It’s a farce as the EASA paper I have still says UK on top of it…

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Aug 08:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Charlie wrote:

if I hold (say) an EASA medical (which as the certificate says is ICAO compliant) is this a valid medical for a CAA or other ICAO licence?

EASA and FAA at least (cannot speak for the UK-CAA) only recognize medicals issued under their respective regulations – there is no “cross-accpetance” (apart from an FAA 61.75-vaildation, which can be used with a medical vaild for the “underlying” license).

This, however:

Clearly in EASA land, you need to hold the medical in the same state as licence issue

…is not correct. For an EASA license you can use any medical issued under Part-MED. No need for it to be from the same country that has issued your license.

Last Edited by tschnell at 29 Aug 07:55
Friedrichshafen EDNY

No need for it to be from the same country that has issued your license.

When did that change? That was specifically banned for years, to block what they called “medical tourism” And then some countries refused to recognise German medicals (post Germanwings, they looked almost worthless).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

tschnell wrote:

For an EASA license you can use any medical issued under Part-MED. No need for it to be from the same country that has issued your license.

One needs to be precise here: The medical Examiner can be from any EASA country (at least theoretically) but the competent authority that administers your medical shall be the same as the one that administers your license.

Charlie wrote:

if I hold (say) an EASA medical (which as the certificate says is ICAO compliant)

Charlie wrote:

but if you have an ICAO medical somewhere else, do you need a valid EASA medical?

There is no such thing as an “ICAO medical”. It only says, that the medical is ICAO compliant. Therefore the answer to your question is: Yes – even if you have an “ICAO-compliant” medical from somewhere else, you need a valid EASA medical to exercise the rights of your EASA license.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

One needs to be precise here: The medical Examiner can be from any EASA country (at least theoretically) but the competent authority that administers your medical shall be the same as the one that administers your license.

That is correct and describes the situation I have been in for the past few years and prob90 will be upon next renewal.

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message