Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

In France AFAIK there has been no great outcry about the way it was handled. But I may be wrong but the masses don’t seem to have taken to the streets to voice their opinion on Covid. From a personal point of view, I think they did quite well especially after a bit of a slow start.
But a bigger problem here has been acts of terrorism and how that is being handled.
Our second biggest problem since Covid has been “les canicules” the heat waves that in past years nearly brought the government down due to the number of sick and elderly who died because of it. A national embarrassment for a country which puts family first. This year the actions taken have reduced the number of deaths but there was a lot of damage due to droughts.
I think most here accept that Covid is perhaps with us forever and that the government are doing the best that it can do in the circumstances. So I would say that the public in general accepts that everyone is still learning but an enquiry as far as I know is not on the cards, or at least not a public one. I would however think that there are plans being made for a future pandemic and lessons learnt will be taken into account. But that is just my opinion.

France

gallois wrote:

I would however think that there are plans being made for a future pandemic and lessons learnt will be taken into account. But that is just my opinion.

That is my hope. If the lessons learnt get implemented into the pandemic plans, we stand a better chance next time.

The main question is how to get public acceptance rather than outright refusal.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

That is my hope. If the lessons learnt get implemented into the pandemic plans, we stand a better chance next time.

The main question is how to get public acceptance rather than outright refusal.

I think that thing number one should be to ensure that every organisation have got a business continuity plan (for sole traders it would be just a single page document) and in that case you could start talking about plans for the next big problem. Without the BCP you cannot even start understanding where your problem is, which supply chains will brake etc.

EGTR

I don’t think there’s going to be an inquiry here in the Isle of Man, there were one or two controversies but nothing significant. We had the advantage that we could “raise the drawbridge” and after an initial lockdown, went through 2020 with everything open apart from tourism (and the TT/Southern Hundred/Manx GP). One thing it did show that transmission via packages wasn’t a likely thing to happen otherwise it would have spread here again on packages being shipped in.

Andreas IOM

The problem is that if you buy stuff from China, your supply chain will go up in smoke the instant the sh*it hits the fan (apologies for two idioms in one sentence ).

Anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded, BCP or no BCP. I don’t know of a way around that other than

• maintain vast stocks of long-life PPE (elastic bands can be made with a long life, say 10-20 years, but almost nobody does it), or
  • make stuff in your own country, and maintain those companies in business (possibly a revolution in purchasing policy from smaller firms)

Expecting to buy from another country in Europe is not much better than from China, because in a crisis it is everybody out for themselves. That is another lesson… In the chip shortages (which were themselves triggered by covid changing the economic landscape) it was actually US and European chip makers (Taiwan actually) who shipped stuff to the highest bidders / huge users, while Chinese chips remained much more available! Normally anybody making a long term product would not touch a Chinese CPU with a 20ft bargepole but in this case they had no choice, so China profited hugely from covid. Ironic really since they prob99 gave it to us

The UK enquiry is mostly a political witch hunt aimed at the current govt in general and at the most hated politicians of the day in particular. I would expect other countries to have either a more deferential climate, or have politicians who are much better at covering their 6 o’clock

Public acceptance of vaccination is probably going to be worse next time around, because nowadays most people realise that the vaccines mostly served to maintain an upper limit on the hospital inflow. That was a desirable outcome, but not quite what the salesman told you Basically, if you were young, or healthy / non-obese, your chances of needing a hospital were negligible (not zero) so next time most thinking people in those categories will not get vacced.

The islands did pretty aggressive stuff to keep it out. Another story…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The problem is that if you buy stuff from China, your supply chain will go up in smoke the instant the sh*it hits the fan (apologies for two idioms in one sentence ).

Anybody who thinks otherwise is deluded, BCP or no BCP. I don’t know of a way around that other than

Could you mandate that the critical things are manufactured inside the country (be that a local or a foreign country)?

EGTR

Sure, but it takes a lot of balls to pay the extra cost when “there is no need to”.

For anything labour-intensive and repetitive, China is still very cheap. Also it is hard to get people to do repetitive tasks in the West, so investment in automation is key.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Sure, but it takes a lot of balls to pay the extra cost when “there is no need to”.

For anything labour-intensive and repetitive, China is still very cheap. Also it is hard to get people to do repetitive tasks in the West, so investment in automation is key.

Peter, it is like data residency – yes, everyone hates that, but they gradually moving to the right locations.
If there is a law prescribing things to be done in certain way from certain date, it will help in the case of disaster.

EGTR

The chip shortage seemed to be the non-sexy process nodes (all the legacy and trailing edge stuff). Once everyone had stopped trying to buy gaming PCs, the high end stuff from AMD/Intel/nVidia was once again widely available, but try to get some older programmable logic IC (mostly single vendor stuff) e.g. a Xililnx CPLD and you were out of luck…and when they did come back, chips that cost £5 in small quantities from the usual suppliers were now going for £17-£20 in some cases.

Andreas IOM

It was more complex, not least because almost everything is single-sourced nowadays. Common stuff like LM358 excepted of course, and big lessons were learnt there by those willing to learn There are various theories going around and often they involve the car mfg business which thought car sales would plummet due to covid but they didn’t. Some consumer stuff did boom…

IMHO nothing will be learnt, because designing with old chips is “boring” and looks bad on the CV.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message