Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corrosion X or ACF-50?

XCP_Professional wrote:

If you are interested, we can supply further information. Please just let us know.

Hi Scott, thanks for posting – what is the difference between the two rust blocker products? Just the color? Regards, Mickey

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@XCP_Professional,
How does your product affect friction – does it leave any sticky residue or, conversely, does it lubricate things?
Is it any good at cleaning electrical contacts?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I used the clear XCP stuff on my new cylinder fins. It left no residue. It is like a clear coat so it does not change the color of the surface either.
so far no rust on the fins after almost a year.

Switzerland

Remember this is mostly snake oil. Corrosion requires three ingredients:

• Something to corrode (aluminium, steel etc)
  • An electrolyte (water basically, worsened by orders of magnitude by contamination of salts and dirt)
  • Oxygen (the air)

Two point:

• All three have to be in “contact” for corrosion to start and develop
  • By removing just one ingredient from the equation, no corrosion will occur. Corrosion = oxidation

There are several fancy kinds of corrosion as well, connected to cracks and welds and (poor) material quality, but none of these are corrosion in the correct sense, more like material and manufacturing defects.

It should be evident that any coating of the material, will prevent corrosion. Coating will stop the material from coming into contact with water/air. The best coating is paint, epoxy paint to be precise, straight on to the bare metal. But any paint that sticks well and creates a non porous layer will do. The problem with paint is it requires the material to be pre-treated according to specs and it can wear off. There are lots of places where paint is no good solution.

Sticky/waxy oil/film is also well known. Anything will work as most oils/waxes are hydrophobic and creates a layer for which oxygen/water cannot penetrate. That XCP does seem to work, but why he didn’t test some products from Tectyl (THE industry leader in anti corrosion vaxes for decades) is very odd. This is what Boeing, Airbus etc uses, as well as the entire car industry.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

why he didn’t test some products from Tectyl (THE industry leader in anti corrosion vaxes for decades) is very odd.

https://www.daubertchemical.com/products/corrosion-prevention/type/solvent-based-coatings

Very interesting – thanks for sharing this info. Can you suggest which one is best for aircraft, and where you buy it?

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

My experience in the corrosion inhibiting field has been gathered over forty years in the aircraft maintenance business. Having seen the industry go from very little in the way of corrosion inhibitors to some quite complex solutions to the corrosion problem.

The bottom line is anything is better than nothing and most of the discussion on this forum is only looking at marginal performance differences between products, this is reflected in the fact that in the Cessna SIDS document a number of corrosion inhibitor products are considered suitable.

My particular favourite is CorrosionX, The US army has used it on their helicopter fleet with excellent results describing it as having saved $m’s for a very modest investment.

While CorrosionX was the place to go for my metal aircraft it is not suitable for composite or wooden aircraft , these require a targeted point defence using wax type products that stay just on the metal component that requires protection ( rather than the penetrating properties of CorrosionX or ACF50 type products ) . The recommendations in the Diamond maintenance manuals are a good place to start to look for products for this application if your aircraft maintenance documents have no guidance in this area.

Hi,

See below. Happy to send further technical data if you want to drop us a note ([email protected]).

Last Edited by XCP_Professional at 23 Nov 09:18
United Kingdom

ScottBy9468840 wrote:

By9468840
16-Nov-21 10:22

I have a new garden door installed in summer made of aluminium. I XCP_Professional wrote:

we can supply further information.

is it safe to use it on high temperature applications such as cylinder heads?

Hi,

Yes, absolutely. It withstands high temperatures. If you want to drop us a note at [email protected], we can share the technical report.

Thanks!

United Kingdom

You can post it here, if PDF and not bigger than say 1MB. Posting tips.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

Hi Scott, thanks for posting – what is the difference between the two rust blocker products? Just the color? Regards, Mickey

Hi,

The new CLEAR COAT product is designed for ‘friendlier’ cosmetics. It’s less sticky and easier to remove. It also has great spread. It doesn’t give the same level of protection as Rust Blocker Original (orange bottle), but it still beats our ‘leading competitors’ ;-)

Hope that helps.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message