Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cost effective flying

Join the LAA. You’ll have to be a member to be part owner of a “Permit to Fly” aircraft. I bought a share in a Jodel DR1050 for £1600, 25 years ago. It’s now worth £2200. £60 per tach hour, £50 per month, good availability with 6 members. We’ve a good engine fund, but are in the wrong area for you.
We’re based at a full ATC airfield. The cheapest group I know operates an almost new Peitenpol Air-camper hangared on a strip.
Your local LAA Strut/Branch would be a good starting point for information.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 18 Jan 20:56
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Well, Suzy, best is to get someone else to pay for your flying!
If your homebase is on the south coast for example, there may be an opportunity sometime in the future to join one of our pilots on one of their trips.
We don’t know if you have an FAA, or an EASA PPL. It might be a good idea to join someone who has the same license.

@CKN what kind of aeroplane is that? It sounds interesting.

It’s a PtF Rollason Condor D62B. Not the prettiest aircraft by a long stretch, and it makes a club rental cockpit look like Concorde’s flight deck with its war surplus black instruments, but it does have a VOR, engine just rebuilt and it handles very nicely from the short flight I had, plus it is a tailwheel which I would like to learn.

Here is an article although not of the same aircraft I am looking into: Link. PM me if you wish.

Not many other aircraft of particular interest where I fly from unless Stickandrudderman would consider me as a third co-owner of his aircraft but I figure I will need more experience for that to be a possibility!

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

CKN: Don’t let her hear that. The Condor I mean. In my eyes, it’s much more beautiful than – let’s say – a SR22 or a DA42. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

mh – OK! OK! It seems that everyone who has ever been in a Condor speaks highly of it; and once you are in, the way she handles, is indeed a delight, but there are some other aircraft that look like they are poised for flight, even on the ground. But hey, thoughts of her (the Condor) is what woke me up at 5 this morning…

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)

No I really meant the looks. I like that aircraft. I never have flown one, not even sat in one. But I think it’s a beautiful small aircraft.

On topic: You can sink quite a lot of Euros in experimental aircraft and microlights, too. You can operate a small D120 or MS880 cheaper than a WT9 Dynamic or similar, if you factor in that you won’t fly a 120000€ Aircraft without hull insurance and won’t pay hull insurance for a 12000€ aircraft and the certified aircraft fall under ELA1 anyway. So for the fuel differences (both fly mogas/autofuel) you have to fly quite a lot to make a high end microlight being cheaper. But it’s apples and pears anyway, because you propably look for other types of flying, if you consider a MS880, rather than a Dynamic.

In powered aircraft, nothing beats the powered gliders. They are dirt-cheap to operate, often flying on 10-12 liters in cruise, almost no insurance fee, you can (if you so chose) store them with disassembled wings and save on hangar fee. There are SF25 for sale in germany for way below 10000 EUR. Plus, you can soar with them and save even more.

This is all true, however, when you aim at being in the air. Because with the slow cruise speeds, you will need quite some time for travelling. But it is possible, as Wolf Heckmann demonstrated, who flew a SF25C from Germany to Austrailia.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Agree about the TMG class, I’d have to take a closer look there.

Do not agree about the cost of operating a microlight: their one grand “pro” is one can do the maintenance one’s self, in most countries. I think the MS880 will remain expensive due to the cost of third party maintenance – unless one could get it in an Experimental/Old Timer regime.

Or, as did one chap I know, get it on the N-reg, acquire the required titles, and again perform maintenance one’s self. If that is worth the hassle and cost of gaining the certification.

Last Edited by at 19 Jan 19:08
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

You can do your maintenance on ELA1 aircraft, too, to a very great degree. Plus, many service companies do owner assisted maintenence (ask Peter). Depending on the value of the microlight, the remaining maintenance difference can be less than hull insurance and brs-repack (depending on country). But as I said, it depends on what aircraft you operate and what you intend to do. I know a couple of guys operating a Robin ATL or a MS880 way below the costs of another friends WT-9 Dynamic. Of course, this is calculated for the flight hour. Comparing the cost per Mile, the WT9 is cheaper. I know some microlights in commercial maintenance and that isn’t much less expensive than on basic aircraft like the MS880.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Yes, putting a microlight in commercial maintenance seems a bit odd, to say the least. But once again, to each their own.

How exactly is the term “ELA1” to be read? Is it an EASA definition? ICAO? DFS? Or is it meant as the counterpart/contrary to “Annex II” ?

Last Edited by at 19 Jan 20:12
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message