Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Could a sub-FL300 aircraft fly through this?

My „first“ plane was limited to FL250 (no oxygen masks for the passengers) and very capable (CAT III A) in AWOps. We did 4-6 flights a day all over Europe and not once was there any squall line or storm system we couldn’t get through. And there were t-storms believe me. You are a little more in the weather and ice than the Fl350+ troop but still easy compared to any unpressurized guys.
I don’t have hands on experience on these types but I am willing to believe any pressurized turbine plane (Jetprop, Meridian etc..) with a wx radar that can comfortably get up to FL200 will not be bothered by frontal systems anymore up there. Might take a little longer to slalom around and fly the odd 50 miles parallel though.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Adam, what‘s the refresh rate on that nexrad? Do you get it via ads-b? I’d think you would be much better of to use your onboard radar, no?

always learning
LO__, Austria

My „first“ plane was limited to FL250 (no oxygen masks for the passengers) and very capable (CAT III A) in AWOps

Was that some commuter turboprop, with radar obviously?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pratt and Whitney PW123 (under)powered and some ancient Honeywell radar on a dedicated CRT screen.
As long as you made sure to always expect a second cell swallowed up behind and by the one displayed and avoided scallops, hooks and fingers you were fine.
The auto leveling gain correcting 3d whatever radar I have now is a piece of cake to use compared to that but both worked fine (even displays turbulence).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Adam, what‘s the refresh rate on that nexrad? Do you get it via ads-b? I’d think you would be much better of to use your onboard radar, no?

Yeah, onboard is much better, but avionics shop had not put right “unlock” code in the Avidyne, so couldn’t access radar controls (sigh). Nexrad updates vary in time, but they’re usually around 7min via ADS-B. Which is an eternity in fast moving stuff, but less so in late afternoon CB buildups that tend to stay more static. I would say the Nexrad corresponded pretty well to what I saw outside on this particular trip.

But I wouldn’t want to be in IMC and trying to pick your way through anything without onboard radar. That would be scary.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 11 Aug 15:38
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message