Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Could one broadcast TAFs/METARs on short wave?

10 Posts

From here I wonder if this is possible.

It would prob99.9 be illegal, under the terms of the permitted usage of the amateur bands. But it would solve what I think is a major requirement in GA. The information is very compact, very compressible, and changes only every 30 mins.

If you transmitted at a low power, especially below the noise floor, nobody would notice

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Doesn’t that already work with an iPad running SD with data sim card?

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 15 Jun 17:00

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Doesn’t that already work with an iPad running SD with data sim card?

To some degree. I did a 3600NM trip last week in my Cessna and I was able to use my Android phone for pretty much all weather briefing. Connections are intermittent but good enough most of the time. With LTE it works almost all the time but that is not widespread outside Northern Europe. With 3G it comes and goes. I found my current Nexus 6 to be significantly better than all previous phones.

On the way back in FL200 over the Alps, I had to turn on my Thuraya SatSleeve as I couldn’t get a GSM connection. In my normal cruising levels FL140-150, it works better. Still, I rarely have to use Thuraya, GSM does the job most of the time.

Having been trying this for 15 years I would say extremely unlikely to get GSM/3G at IFR levels.

Administrator

So you accuse me of lying?

Really, it works for me, every time. Maybe it’s the one thing a 1995 Symbian phone is not good at?

I’ve even SMSed a dozen times with Flyer59, I used my Android phone, he used his ADL and I was flying at FL150 at the time someplace over the Aegean. I’ve also read and replied to dozens of emails and kept 10 conversations on WhatsApp going. What else should one do when there is a DFC90 autopilot on board…

SMS is totally different.

Also my new £500 Samsung S6 is worse than the Nokia in getting a signal. It is about the same as the IPhone or Ipad2.

Maybe you fly routes which have different tower configurations.

Administrator

I think Achimha is using a special version of the router that generates routes that has LTE/3G coverage ;-)

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 15 Jun 19:30

Peter wrote:

If you transmitted at a low power, especially below the noise floor, nobody would notice

Not only that, nobody could decode it, too

martin-esmi wrote:

I think Achimha is using a special version of the router that generates routes that has LTE/3G coverage ;-)

Don’t give me ideas

LSZK, Switzerland

Not only that, nobody could decode it, too

It depends on how much redundancy there is in the signal, surely?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It depends on how much redundancy there is in the signal, surely?

But if there’s enough redundancy it’s not below noise :)

LSZK, Switzerland
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message