Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Engine out after departure LSZH today

Today, the DETEG was in the air again. I did the testflight. There are still issues: Fuel Flow is not high enough, EGT is not reading properly, and the RPM ist missing on the EDM. And the sound was different. Compared to the engine before, now it is really loud inside.

But beside this the 53 minutes flight were absolutely nice. See the pictures.

Last Edited by eddsPeter at 15 Dec 16:11
EDDS , Germany

Excellent work!

What could account for the noise? Exhaust system leaking?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What could account for the noise? Exhaust system leaking?

That was my first idea too, especially as the manual EGT delivers complete „jumping“ figures.

EDDS , Germany

EDM resolution etc can be configured. However leaks are very obvious in visual inspection of the exhaust.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Boy @eddsPeter, this experience certainly hasn’t increased your risk aversion in the least !! Congratulations.

I think I’d stick to a bit flatter country on a first flight after new engine installation. Your pics indicate that you’re a long ways from EDDS; I understand you had the work done in Zurich LSZH so I guess that doesn’t leave an awful lot of choice within Switzerland if you want to get up high. I probably would have headed north over Germany.

In any case, it is really great news to hear that you’re back in the air with D-ETEG and I’m sure that is a great feeling and a real confidence-builder after a successful flight over terrain like that. You surely set a record for time back into the air after an incidence like yours.

LSZK, Switzerland

@chflyer wrote:

I think I’d stick to a bit flatter country on a first flight after new engine installation.

The weather in the north was not too good and as the first break-in hour is so important for the engine I have choosen the best aera to fly low level with as many possibilities for a save landing as possible. So I left Zürich via the ECHO routing northbound to the Bodensee, 3 airfields left and right for a security landing available and also the lake (very flat), turning to Dornbirn and Bad Ragaz following the river Rhine, also flat and again airfields available, turning to the Walensee and the Zürichsee, again because of the lakes as possible landing aereas and some airfields around and then back to Zürich.

So it was even more flat, than when heading to Germany and also very nice regarding the scenic aspects.

EDDS , Germany

Peter, are you still in ZRH or will you be back here when?

I am back from my holidays now, if you are in the area I’d like to see you again.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

After maintenance has performed the last adjustment after the testflight on Sunday, I took the DETEG back home to EDDS tonight.

So tomorrow we are able the start into our Christmas holidays to France. I‘m very happy today.

EDDS , Germany

Well done Peter! Happy for you! clap clap clap! You must hold the record-time for recovery from this type of incident, if there is one!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Great news, Peter! Love your ‘no faffing around’ attitude and getting back in the air. Wishing you a great trip and a very happy Christmas and New (engine) Year!

Sign in to add your message