Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lost elevator

Google wasn’t my friend. Tried NTSB and Wikipedia. No success.
Toilet fire alarm went off in climb W over Pacific. Copilot immediately shut down engines. Successfully restarted with no damage nor injury. I can’t remember the decade. B707 or 747 .
Silvaire might remember?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Successfully restarted with no damage nor injury. I can’t remember the decade. B707 or 747 .

Vague (very vague….) memory says this was a Korean Air (?) out of or into SFO. Might be a different incident, though.

Delta 810 (N103DA). LAX–CVG, 30 Jun 1987.

Inadvertent Engine Shutdown Prompts F.A.A. Order on Boeing 767’s. 3 Jul 1987. New York Times.
Boeing Can’t Explain How Delta Pilot Made Error. 3 Jul 1987. Los Angeles Times.
NPRM for AD (see discussion): 52 FR 43770 (16 Nov 1987).
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 147073.

Earlier Shutdown of 767 Power Told in Probe of Delta Incident. 5 Jul 1987. Los Angeles Times

Ted Lopatkiewicz of the National Transportation Safety Board said by
telephone from Washington that both engines of a United 767 shut down
after takeoff in San Francisco on March 31, 1986. The pilot restarted
them and landed safely, he said.

United 310 (N609UA). SFO–DEN, 31 Mar 1986.
ASN Wikibase Occurrence # 147071.

London, United Kingdom

Similar but different cause problem, handled properly:
https://www.kitplanes.com/the-tale-of-the-tundra/
“This day, as I was descending over the Pine Nut mountains into our home field. The speed was up about 120 KIAS when all of a sudden I got a huge pulsing in the stick, the airplane started pitching down and the airframe started vibrating.
In about three milliseconds, I looked both ways to see if I had lost a wingtip, aileron or flap, thought about if I might have hit a bird and even considered if a gear leg had fallen off. After realizing that the engine was still running smoothly, I determined that the problem had to be back in the tail. At the same time, I eased power off and pitched up to bleed off airspeed. So long as you have control, slowing down is rarely the wrong thing to do—and if slowing down makes control worse, you can generally speed back up again. The vibration got less violent, and I figured either I had lost a major tail fairing, or the trim tab was fluttering. As I got down below 80 knots, the vibration got tolerable, and it went away at about 65. Of course, I realized I had no trim about this time, confirming my suspicions”

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 15 Mar 21:05
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message