Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moral dilemma

Ibra wrote:

How about the reverse he was described as “very good pilot”, “very cautious pilot”, “very through”, “very careful”…then found on a hill doing IMC bellow MSA?

It happens. An article in the August 1993 edition of “Flying” magazine called this “SLOJ” (sudden loss of judgement). A couple of sources of “slojy” behaviour the article pointed out was “the Proximity Rule” (I certainly have noticed how it seems that there’s a disproportionate number of weather related accidents that happen within 5 minutes flying time of the destination, in other words normally careful pilots can suffer a loss of judgement when their goal is so near. Had they taken off and 5 minutes later it was evident the weather wasn’t good enough, they would have turned around and landed. But they are just 5 minutes from their destination on a 3 hour flight, they might just go for it.

I know I have fallen for that one. Of course, I actually made it, but in hindsight, my decision to press on for the last 5 minutes of the flight instead of diverting to the airfield maybe 10 minutes behind me was certainly a poor one, when I arrived at one end of the runway with a deluge arriving at the opposite end (and said storm required people to hang onto parked aircraft as it had a very strong outflow) but the lure of your destination being in visual range, and very close, is an incredibly strong one.

Andreas IOM
41 Posts
Sign in to add your message