Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

That’s what I was taught as well re going round but the technique is very important.

Having said that, I’ve rarely ever had to go around since going solo – mainly because I don’t go out on conditions that are beyond my capabilities and on a pa28 or whatever you shouldn’t really need to go around.

This begs the question of how good my go around skills are

I was doing circuits in my tb20 and made a major error in delaying the pitch up and instead speaking to ATC. That was a very basic error which I never made when I was doing learning circuits. Back then, every other landing was go around!

So, I think this is a sad reminder that we should practise go around all the time. That’s what probably got him.

EGKA, United Kingdom

Luckily, the go round for me was initiated well above the ground (mainly because I got way too high when I took the final flap) so had plenty of time (and obviously an instructor with me…)

But either way, if that was 50 agl alone could have accelerated into the ground

EGKA, United Kingdom

RV14 wrote:

excuse my ignorance but why a basic flight manoeuvre in a SEP in VMC would requires any electronics, autopilots, servos, switches?
terrible tragedy.

It doesn’t “require” one, but the reality is that the Garmin Envelope flight protection could be programmed to afford aid when inexperienced pilots finds themselves needing to go around after (eg) a bounced landing and the aircraft suddenly pitches excessively upwards – the difference is, if the logic finds the aircraft entering a go around with high pitch, it can work to assist the pilot rather than sitting idly by as the pilot allows the plane to get away from him….

EDL*, Germany

Last year during IR profcheck the examiner suddenly instructed me: “runway obstructed, go around” while I was in the landing flare with a SR22.
Going from idle to full power close to stall speed requires aggressive control input; nose down, lots of right rudder and wait for airspeed before raising the flaps.

Tragic accident..

lenthamen wrote:

Going from idle to full power close to stall speed requires aggressive control input; nose down, lots of right rudder and wait for airspeed before raising the flaps.

Never flew a Cirrus, but yeah, happens on most airplanes adequately powered. And the actions required are what is generally called flying…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

another Human Factors case?….very sad… Could it be too much emphases on T&G (flying alone without supervision) when basic flying skills were lacking on this aircraft?
Similar event last year (sorry didn’t see Peter referenced it already):
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/309306

The safety report from ATSB summarizes it well..

Last Edited by Vref at 28 Mar 09:32
EBST

I used to hate T&Gs. They just make you sweat like a pig, you learn little because your brain is on overload… Doing them solo is also really bad because nobody is relaxed and watching you, so if you make a mistake you probably make a big one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I used to hate T&Gs. They just make you sweat like a pig, you learn little because your brain is on overload

Dito! My first hours on the SR22 were spent trying to fly it like a 172 so I could have time to process everything that was going on. Then, we practice, it becomes easy.

Now, Cirrus training puts a lot of emphasis on stabilised approaches and go-arounds. They say that, and I quote, “We should fly every approach as if it to a go-around, as if the go-around is an inevitability, because in reality, it’s landing that is contingent on those stabilised landing criteria being met. The earlier you decide to go-around, the better.”

I follow their advice to the letter. I’m only a flying enthusiast and I will use any guidance from professionals to keep me and my family safe.

Last Edited by Fernando at 28 Mar 11:38
EGSU, United Kingdom

RV14 wrote:

excuse my ignorance but why a basic flight manoeuvre in a SEP in VMC would requires any electronics, autopilots, servos, switches?
terrible tragedy.

It’s not known to be a particularly forgiving aircraft. Anything can go wrong in piloting, especially with small wings, and ESP helps with that (it’s not “required” per se). Just like ABS for example has saved an unfathomable amount of lives.

France

I love t&gs. They’re just so much fun! The most “flying” we ever do is during approach and landing, the rest isn’t that interesting or involved in terms of stick and rudder. It’s the most crucial phase of the flight as well IMO where so many things can go wrong so it’s also good to practice and get good at it.

I love it, and when I do it I try to practice different approaches, full flaps, partial, no flaps, with power, steep without, short approach. It’s fantastic. Then it’s also nice to be involved in the bigger picture of a busy international airport (since I most often do this at ELLX) with other traffic which most often are airliners, so I get to see big jets landing and taking off. I get to practice landing just after they land so that keeps up my wake turbulence avoidance proficiency up. I get to practice talking to ATC, with sometimes more involved clearances. Then sometimes I get the whole runway to do multiple t&gs in one go, great fun and good practice for engine failure on take off.

I recently did some at night, the METAR read 00000KT for wind, anyone ever saw that before? Cause I didn’t haha. Landing was so easy I felt like I was playing a video game.

I mean what is there not to love. T&Gs are awesome fun and can potentially help you avoid what happened here to this pilot.

Last Edited by hazek at 28 Mar 11:24
ELLX, Luxembourg
Sign in to add your message