Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR22 G-RGSK 26/3/2024 Duxford EGSU (and go-around discussion)

Lots of practice doing power on departure stalls would seem to be a good idea when transitioning to any new type. My right leg shaking from holding right rudder is my strongest memory of pre-solo flying at age 15… in a Cessna 150. My leg must not have been very strong.

I then learned to fly (mostly) in a 65 HP Luscombe (a tailwheel aircraft) that had the following issues with poor rudder use: wouldn’t turn, wouldn’t descend quickly, wouldn’t climb, would spin out of a stall, would crash on landing. That makes one aware of the need to use your feet.

My current 150 HP tricycle gear plane doesn’t pitch up much with power application and doesn’t have any adverse yaw. It felt a bit weird to me at first after the Luscombe. It does however need right rudder to keep the ball centered in a power on departure stall, and practicing those has got to be a good thing in preventing these kinds of accidents. There was a similar one recently with a Bonanza, so it’s not any particular type.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Mar 15:39

https://youtu.be/6d2UPkXxKho?si=Zw7HDIuEleNF3iiX&t=533

This is a video Cirrus published recently regarding go-arounds. I point it to the section where they talk about the sequence of events in the SR22.

EGSU, United Kingdom

IO390 wrote:

or you just use your eyes and ears to listen to other people’s position reports in the circuit, and look out to validate the reports. It’s not hard,

Assuming that other people all make position reports and that they are correct. We’ve had some nasty incidents where that was not the case.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Fernando wrote:

This is a video Cirrus published recently regarding go-arounds. I point it to the section where they talk about the sequence of events in the SR22.

Excellent video. The most insightful for me is to accelerate whilst flying level before pitching up to the climb attitude.

The bit about TOGA i dont quite get (maybe because i never used one!)

Why look at a screen for pitch guidance when you should be looking out of the window?

EGKA, United Kingdom

Rami1988 wrote:

Why look at a screen for pitch guidance when you should be looking out of the window?

You shouldn’t. The FD information is there for guidance in case you want to double-check the suggested attitude.

Last Edited by Fernando at 28 Mar 16:07
EGSU, United Kingdom

Terrible video. That animation suggests that to pitch up for the go around, one has to actually PULL on the stick…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Terrible video. That animation suggests that to pitch up for the go-around, one has to actually PULL on the stick…

He does mention “smoothly”. This is a short video. They refer to their landings and take off online course that includes six hours of demonstrations.

Last Edited by Fernando at 28 Mar 16:31
EGSU, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Terrible video. That animation suggests that to pitch up for the go around, one has to actually PULL on the stick…

It says to fly level first, then pull the stick once accelerated

EGKA, United Kingdom

Anybody can buy a TBM and fly it away…

After having obtained a TBM SET CR and insurance mandated line training, and that depends on the NAA. While no OSD is published for non complex SET aircraft, there is GM for TBM requiring PPL+IR (+HPA), which some NAAs enforce as mandatory. I know of a 960 owner who was not allowed to obtain the CR due to missing IR.
A sub 1000hr pilot will also need 25-50 hours time in type with instructor until flying alone due to insurance requirements. In the US, while technically a PPL (HP, CMPL, HA) is sufficient, insurance will mandate up to 1 year/250 hours time in type mentoring and can cost 6 figure premiums for high hull values.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I know of a 960 owner who was not allowed to obtain the CR due to missing IR.

Getting off topic but yes probably no FTO will do the TBM CR unless you have an IR, though this is not a “not allowed” legal requirement.

But anybody can buy an SR22 and fly it away. Again they need to get insurance. Not in the US though.

It says to fly level first, then pull the stick once accelerated

I have never IIRC done a go around in the TB20 due to a botched landing i.e. from touching the runway, but I have done plenty due to a runway obstruction / incursion, and as with the SR22 you need to gently apply power in level flight, accelerate in level flight, and at this point you may be lower than you would like to be but that’s ok, and then climb up. If going around from the runway, you have to also accelerate on the runway (or if you have lifted off due to a bounce or some such) do it while still in ground effect, and only when at a safe flying speed do you lift off out of ground effect.

I have flown the SR22 a couple of times and IMHO the sidestick gives you a lot less authority than a yoke, when you need it. Accordingly, most SR22s are flown on the autopilot the whole way (one is not supposed to post that).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message