Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cross credit towards NPPL(M)

This is probably a bit of a daft question but does an SEP class rating on an EASA PPL(A) counts as a “microlight privilege” regardless of whether the microlight differences training has actually been completed or not? The reason I ask is because I want to obtain a NPPL(M), and I can’t work out what is required. If it does count then it seems straight forward, but if it doesn’t, I could be in the silly position of needing to get differences training signed off on an expired rating, or worse have to renew the rating to get the differences training signed off at which point I would have no need of the NPPL(M)!

From CAP804:
4.2 Pilots with expired licences or ratings
Credit shall be given for holders of expired CAA-issued Part-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) and UK PPL(A) licences or ratings as follows:
a) Where a Microlight class rating or Microlight privileges included in such licences has expired by not more than 5 years, the licence holder shall hold a valid NPPL medical declaration or Part-MED Class 1, 2 or LAPL medical certificate and pass the NPPL(A) GST in a Microlight.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Microlight privileges depend on the SEP rating or privileges, as the case may be, being valid. This requirement is made in the badly worded first paragraph of article 150 of the ANO for Part-FCL licences. Similar requirements for UK licences are made in arts 155(2)(a) and 157. See also guidance from Mark McClelland here.

London, United Kingdom

Surely the rating has to be valid to exercise the privileges, but that validity has no bearing on what the privileges of the rating actually are?

The part of CAP804 above I posted specifically mentions Part-FCL pilot licences (aeroplanes) with expired licences, microlight ratings or privileges. Since a Part-FCL pilot licence (aeroplanes) doesn’t expire and cannot have a microlight rating added, they can only mean the privileges. If the privileges cease to exist when the SEP rating expires then you could never have expired microlight ratings or privileges of any sort for the Part-FCL license case and it would make no sense to include it in the paragraph.

My understanding you have to maintain the SEP rating current on Part-FCL to keep flying microlights with your Part-FCL and “logbook difference training” only,

The alternative is to convert your Part-FCL to NPPL(M) by simply getting an NPPL(M) GST in a microlight preferably a fix wings (no need for any training if your SEP rating has expired less than 5 years but you still have to impress a microlight instructor who will put you to the test ) and maintain an NPPL medical or equivalent, for wingshift you will need another line of ink

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 May 09:32
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra, I hope your understanding is correct. Just a GST in a microlight would make my life simple.

Microlight privileges will only have existed after appropriate differences training was undertaken. That requirement is made by art 150(6):

A Part-FCL licence with single-engine piston aeroplane privileges is not deemed to be
rendered valid for a microlight aeroplane unless the holder of the licence has undergone
differences training in accordance with …

The BMAA Licence Administration Centre which grants the NPPL(M) may take a different view and accept ex post facto differences training.

London, United Kingdom

I’ve asked the BMAA. Hopefully they will be able to clarify. What’s interesting about the paragraph 150(6) you linked above is that in CAP804, if your SEP rating is valid there is no mention of any requirement for microlight privileges.

Pilots with valid licences and ratings
UK Licence with SEP or SSEA rating to NPPL(A) (Microlight)
The holder of a valid CAA-issued Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) with SEP Class Rating or SSEA rating who wishes to obtain a Microlight Class Rating shall:
a) produce the CAA-issued Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes);
b) pass the Microlight Aeroplanes Type (Part 2) oral examination conducted by a Microlight flight examiner. The examination shall include pilot maintenance requirements and conditions of the Permit to Fly;
c) hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or Part-MED Class 1, 2 or LAPL medical certificate;
d) pass the NPPL(A) GST in a Microlight.

UPDATE: The BMAA have said although the wording is ambiguous it means ratings that may allow microlight privileges, regardless of whether they have been exercised. So Ibra’s understanding has turned out to be correct!

Thanks for taking the time to help chaps. It’s much appreciated.

Last Edited by Andy at 29 May 16:26
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message