Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing borders VFR - is using FIS (reporting mid Channel etc) mandatory?

Interesting!

Did he file a flight plan? If he didn’t then serious attention is to be expected (unless they are unaware). French military operates on a “totally absolute” basis; even French ATC is scared of calling them up for a transit

ENR 1.2

1.2.12 stipulates a flight plan for border crossings (obviously )

Further down:

So EGKA-LFAT is illegal but calling up Lille is OK. OTOH I always file a flight plan and IMHO the absence of that is what would really p1ss them off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

A pilot flying VFR from Germany to a French airfield not far from the border has recently been interviewed after landing because another aircraft had likely been observed crossing the border without making radio contact with neither FIS nor ATC.

It‘s the first time I have heard this rule (rif. ENR 1.2 of the French AIP) being „enforced“ to a degree. Possibly also somehow Corona related?

Did the other aircraft have a flight plan?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Interesting translation Flight Service area (SIV)
There are several strange translations in the AIP.

Last Edited by gallois at 09 Jan 16:40
France

Yes, I believe he had a flightplan. Otherwise, the story wouldn’t be worth telling.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So EGKA-LFAT is illegal

Not sure about that? you could fly EGMD-LFAT without talking to any “area FIS”, Tower to Tower, ATC give you FIS service and assign you some VFR sqwaks (7066/6101), I have done it more than I count on a straight line, if no ATC in the TWR you definetly need to call Lille FIS & London FIS who puts you on sqwaks (6100 & 1177)

It will be dumb to drive through borders with 7000 not calling anyone?

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jan 16:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I could not be sure whether the tower guy at LFAT qualifies under the French AIP description of who you are supposed to call up, post French border crossing.

If you think it’s affirmative, then doing so is legal, otherwise one is supposed to call up “FIS”, or one of the listed airports like Lille.

Practically speaking IMHO this requirement to call up FIS is bollox because it is completely pointless on a short flight. Also there is a missing definition for the max time after which the radio call must be made. If it is say 10 mins, then you will be on the ground at LFAT before then!

Administrator

FIS service that can be given by en-route ATC (Lille App), en-route FIS (Lille SIV), aérodrome ATC and aerodromes AFIS, maybe it’s an exception at LFAT, it’s TWR ATC with CAS/TMA is inside GBR FIR & FRA FIR?

- LeTouquet sometimes ask to call Lille FIS first and fly via Cap Gris Nez or Boulogne-Sur-Mer,
- Lydd sometimes ask to freecall London FIS

If you look at AIP, there is a caveat that you can call some AD TWR with “border crossing”

Obviously, they are not like some Golf AutoInfo AD radio operator who runs the gliding club winch on Sunday and talk while PIC is on 7000…

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Jan 19:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Lydd sometimes ask to freecall London FIS

UK ATC does that and it is totally pointless (to call a non radar unit). Also I never found a legal requirement for that. The French AIP one is news to me.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Further down: (Radio Contact on Border Crossing)

The current French AIP version seems not to have it anymore. Has it been moved somewhere else or the radio contact on border crossing isn’t obligatory anymore?

P. S. Greetings, EuroGA community. Regular reader since 2019.

Welcome.

It absolutely still is, still in ENR1.2. Wonder why you didn‘t find it. Also, is it really such a big deal?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message