Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DA40 diesel engine failure stats?

I have moved away from the DA 40 several years ago, but I am reading every now and then about more or less catastrophic engine failure events in connection with the diesel engines. Any first hand PIREP ( not specifically looking for negative feedback, so if you have 500 trouble feee hours, your input is appreciated).
Also very interesting is whether the “bulletproof” Lycosaur is causing any trouble.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

About 425 hours on Thielert Centurion 2.0 and Continental CDI-155 without any serious problems.

Germany

600 hours on two CD-155 without any issue, running them at 100% from takeoff to cruise and than between 75% and 85% in cruise.

On old pair of CD-135 I had coolant hose clamp broken resulting with hose slip and loss of coolant leading to controlled engine shutdown and OEI landing, no issue with engine itself. Both engines replaced at TBR time 1500 hours, looking as new, running great when replaced.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Both engines replaced at TBR time 1500 hours

On a tangent: why?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

1200 hrs on two CD135 2nd generation (2.0L). Operated them cautiously, 70-75% in cruise. The only issues I had were about five ‘ECU-failures’ which were nothing more than these units tripping because of spurious sensor signals, and only required a reset.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Both engines replaced at TBR time 1500 hours On a tangent: why?

Because Thielert 2.0 were 135 HP engines which was not enough for DA42, it was simply underpowered. Besides that I didn’t want to run engines on condition while changing gearboxes every 300 hours which was mandatory on that generation of engines. CD-155 are probably the best engines for DA42, rated 2100 TBR.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

CD-155 are probably the best engines for DA42, rated 2100 TBR.

Emir, why not the Austro E4 ones?

EGTR

Thanks guys. From what is reported here it looks like there are no catastrophic failures or wear patterns on the CDI 135/155?
I think Emir’s judgement on the CDI-155 being the best engine for the DA42 makes a lot of sense. The Austros are very heavy…

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Emir, why not the Austro E4 ones?

Too heavy. So changing Thielert to AE300 requires expensive airframe and landing gear changes, resulting with more than €350k just for engines exchange and probably 6 months of AOG. Replacing Thielert with CD-135 is just cost of engines plus labor. I guess that total cost of installing CD-155 via Crosby STC today is around €150k which includes pair of engines, new scimitar propellers, changes to cowling and cooling, STC and labor. If you keep old propellers, it €30k less. Diamond’s CD/155 STC is more than €180k.

In addition for AE300, initial limit of 1800 TBO is changed to 1800 TBR due to overhaul being more costly for the manufacturer than producing new engine.

The advantage of full AE300 upgrade is that you get the aircraft aligned to current production specifications which means latest hardware and software capabilities minus 100 kg MTOW (upgraded aircraft is 1900, new one is 1999). However, that comes with cost of more than €550k.

Last Edited by Emir at 14 May 06:14
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir, right, so it is not worth it for retrofitting, but OK for the factory-produced?

EGTR
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message