Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day time

If I want to depart from a VFR only airfield in the Netherlands to join IFR I would have to depart during this period...

Is there no Night VFR in the Netherlands?

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

In France night is defined by civil sunrise/sunset, corresponding to the center of the sun being 6° below the horizon. Here it corresponds approximately to half an hour before/after sunrise/sunset. of course this difference depends on your latitude and the season. In summer there are places (northern latitude) where the sun sets and however nevers gets 6° below horizon, meaning that there is no civil sunset. If you're into astronomy, the astonomical night is defined by the sun being 18° below the horizon. As South as Paris there is no astronomical night in the begining of summer...

SE France

And in Sweden the definition is:

A condition which is considered to prevail when between sunset and sunrise a prominent unlighted object due to reduced daylight cannot be clearly observed from a distance of more than 8 km.

No room for interpretation :)

There is no Night VFR in the Netherlands other than for training purposes in getting your CPL/IR.

EDLE, Netherlands

So presumably under the SERA there will be wholesale changes for everyone....I imagine there will be mass confusion for a while...

My son is studying air law for his PPL just now but all the study material (and hopefully the exam) is based on the current UK air law...so he won't be any better prepared

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

In Greece the CAA published official sunrise/sunset times for every airport and day/night follows the 30 minute rule. Note that the sr/ss times are different for each airport at different longitudes. Previously there was a universal sr/ss time corresponding to Athens area (approximately in the "middle" of the country. But the real sr/ss can differ by as much as 30 minutes in Greece (e.g. LGKR - Kerkira which is West and LGRP - Rhodes or LGKJ - Kastellorizo which is east), so if you were flying over Rhodes one minute before sunset it was really dark, as opposed to Kerkira. So they made specific times for each airport.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message