Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Descent 1500fpm or greater in a small aircraft...

When talking to PADOVA RADAR in Italy last Friday, I got a descent clearance: Descent now to FL060, 1500ft p/m or greater.
I have never tried to descent with such a rate in a DA40. I know I can do 1000ft p/m, but it is uncomfortable in a non-pressurized aircraft.
I always plan to descent with 500ft/m because that gives best passenger comfort.

Could it be that ATC was not aware of my aircraft type?
I was already in the descent, coming from FL180 and I usually do a powered descent, with the IAS just below Vno. Had some tailwind and was doing +/- 180kts GS. Could it be that RADAR got confused about my capabilities?

When I replied “Unable to comply”, they start giving me radar vectors, obviously for separation…

Welcome to Italy

Just say “unable”, no reason to do a manoeuver like this just to make their job easier.

When I replied “Unable to comply”, they start giving me radar vectors, obviously for separation…

You did the right thing.

But FL180 in a DA40? Thielert (turbo diesel) I suppose? What kind of climb performance do you get at such altitude?

LFPT, LFPN

But FL180 in a DA40? Thielert (turbo diesel) I suppose? What kind of climb performance do you get at such altitude?

It’s a 2.0 Centurion TDI engine. For some reason it climbs better at FL100 then at ground level.
I don’t know why, but initial climb performance is really poor. Sometimes it is doing only +300/+400 fpm just after takeoff.
It starts getting better once you get higher. I can keep a steady +500fpm VS up to FL150.

That day it was very hot (ISA +18). FL180 was about the highest I could get. Climb rate was about 100fpm when I reached FL180…

That’s really impressive and shows why a turbo is so good

You did the right thing. One might answer “unable to comply due aircraft performance”.

In Italy or Spain, maybe 50% of ATC cannot speak any English and just know the standard phrases.

I have had London Control ask for 1000fpm but that is rare and normally N European ATC is aware of aircraft types in general, and use vectoring instead. 1500fpm is possible in my TB20 but works best with the gear down, but you can’t get the gear down (due to Vlo/Vle) after commencing the descent

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When you fly IFR in Italy, say OFTEN “ready for descent” during the STAR or close to the Approach, otherwise you will find yourself to be forced to descend at 2000ft/min to meet the ILS at the right altitude. ATC thinks IFR = Jet Performance.

When you fly IFR in Italy, say OFTEN “ready for descent” during the STAR or close to the Approach

That is a very good point, and not only in Italy. I try to always have a TOD in mind that will allow me to descend at a rate acceptable to me and ATC – something between 500 and 1000 fpm. And I notify ATC a few minutes before reaching the TOD. Some places ATC have many constraints and the only way to squeeze you in is to give you kamikaze descents, but 1500 fpm is really high!

LFPT, LFPN

It did happen to me a short while ago north of Frankfurt. I was at FL100 and, as I learned about later, there were some special glider sectors active. So ATC wanted me to dive below those and out of class C. She request 1500ft/m and I asked for a shallower decent. It was then 1000ft/min. My aircraft was a Cirrus SR22. I didn’t like the request because I was fearing about the pressure on my ears.

So now the question. i have never done a very steep descent but I have seen some skydiver airplanes virtually arrive on the ground before the skydivers. The joke was always that those pilots don’t feel the pain anymore. Before I try… Any data on that?

Frequent travels around Europe

Either don’t feel the pain or do like divers do and equalise ^^

It is true that italian ATC has little familiarity with aircraft types (few IFR piston driven airplanes around), but they have to deal with high radar minima as well. Most of MEAs in Padova Radar’s area are above FL090, sometimes FL 160. It’s considered mountainous terrain. ATC might be less than fluent in colloquial English, but they’re supposed to use standard phrases only. We all are. Don’t be aftraid of using the magic word “unable”.Just tell them in advance.

62 Posts
Sign in to add your message