Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Devised this Go-Around check list

In both worlds it is taught the other way around.

I’ve been an instructor for two decades and never have been taught (or taught myself) either method. Instead I insist that my students use both their hands, on on the throttle/power lever and the other on the yoke simultaneously. In many situations, it doesn’t really matter which way you do it, because you either have enough height or enough speed with margins for error. But in the extreme case of a balked landing from the flare (i.e. due to a runway incursion or a badly handled crosswind or stong gust), pulling up before adding power will get you nowhere except a graveyard.

And regarding the checklist: A go-around is nothing but a takeoff from above ground level, so no extra checklist is required. The normal after takeoff checklist contains everything.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Agree. Still think that in a Single Pilot IFR situation a checklist is not needed or the best in situations like this. See: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182037-1.html?redirected=1

EDLE, Netherlands

Still think that in a Single Pilot IFR situation a checklist is not needed or the best in situations like this.

Exactly. An after takeoff checklist is always a good idea, but this isn’t read (or revoked from memory) while you do your takeoff/go-around, but only after everything is finished to be sure that nothing was forgotten.

EDDS - Stuttgart

All very interesting and yes maybe the specific order matters less than doing it all in a coordinated manner. I think the one area where a go around can differ from a takeoff is in flaps. Obviously in many types if you go around very late you may have full flaps in. It can be very important to get that last stage put away quickly in order to climb. Particularly if in a retractable with gear still down. All very type dependent of course.

EGTK Oxford

Particularly if in a retractable with gear still down.

The importance of getting the gear up quickly is totally overvalued in my judgement. At the low speed at which a typical takeoff/go-around is flown, the drag of the gear is rather insignificant. Just try it out by lowering the gear at max. gear operating speed and again at 100 or 90kt. Flaps are far more important, most light types climb very poorly with full flaps deployed. In “my” aeroplane at work, the call for initiating a go-around is therefore always: “Go-around flaps fifteen!”, this is hammered into our heads in every simulator session…

EDDS - Stuttgart

What next, that was the point that I was trying (obv unsuccessfully) to make. Your explanation was far better.

EGTK Oxford

Then I would first add power, see a positive rate of climb and only then retrieve the flaps from full to first stage.

EDLE, Netherlands

I go to climb pitch while adding full power and retract from 36 to 20 degrees of flap, when positive rate, retract gear. Then when in climb, flaps 20 then 10 then 0.

EGTK Oxford

This stuff gets more important on powerful single engine aircraft.

There was a TBM700 crash in the UK, where they went around from (IIRC) an ILS and crashed into some water. I think most/all survived. A lot of people went around after that saying the TBM will flip over, due to the torque reaction, if full power is applied on a go-around. And the location of the radar – on the LH wing – was said to make the problem worse. Why is the radar on the LH wing?

Later I met up with Socata (for a TBM850 flight) during which this exact thing was discussed and then demonstrated (obviously not at low level ) and I had no problems doing the recovery. Clearly a TBM will not go out of control if full power is applied at Vs.

However, a combination of things could cause a problem: if you have a TBM descending almost at idle power, and you let it get very slow, below Vs, and apply full power, it may not have enough rudder authority to counter the torque. Not using the right rudder is just going to make it worse…

I think it is a certification requirement that the rudder can counter the max torque at Vs, but obviously this won’t work at a lower speed.

On say a C150 you can apply full power at around Vs and forget the rudder and it isn’t going to flip over. On a TB20 you also can although the result is really dirty. On something more powerful, in IMC, under stress, one could be in trouble fast.

One has to apply power gradually, go back to takeoff flap (which may not be possible immediately if you are going around due to a very late runway incursion), and immediately use the rudder, progressively more as the power is increased, to keep the ball in the middle.

If going around on an ILS, 200ft AGL, there is a lot of room below so there is no need to climb right away. Far better to level off, get the speed up, takeoff flap, and climb up when there is a bit of spare speed.

Last Edited by Peter at 07 Apr 14:39
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This stuff gets more important on powerful single engine aircraft.

On all high performance types, wether singles or twins, the latter especially during asymmetric flight. And this is why high performance aircraft require additional training plus class or type ratings.

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message