Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DGAC objecting to cost sharing / flight pooling in France

@Aviathor : thanks for the precisions !
So they should start thinking hard about it then.

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Given that the working group they formed is between the DGAC (which is supposed to uphold the law) and the FFA (which is supposed to represent the interests of us, the pilots), I don’t expect anything positive to come out of it, since both seem to be convinced that cost sharing is bad and must be prohibited. Even if the law says otherwise, but they will just try to bend it like the LBA does when they have a strong opinion on something that they cannot justify with the legal texts.

Rwy20 wrote:

Even if the law says otherwise, but they will just try to bend it like the LBA does when they have a strong opinion on something that they cannot justify with the legal texts.

These sort of things get sorted out in court one day or the other and the bending becomes unbent…
Of course nobody wants to be the one to go to court.
It’s like France trying to keep their overflying ruled based on the AMC or GM of SERA, but that just does not cut it.

DGAC have now come up with the idea to demand that the cost-sharing sites have an AOC (FR-only ).

There is a senatorial report that points summarises the concerns around cost-sharing in GA (FR seulement – sorry again – could not resist)

LFPT, LFPN

I find the senate report somewhat biased against it and making assumptions as well as mentioning laws for which no reference is provided…

I am curious as to what will happen when OPS enters into force in France.

The latest information on this topic was in the December issue of “Info Pilote”. It states that the DGAC and FFA have now held their meetings, and the FFA’s only concern was that the current scheme of “baptêmes de l’air” operated by aeroclubs as their “baby” will not be thrown out with the bath water when the DGAC comes down on cost sharing flights. Other than that, the FFA is opposed to it and urges its member aeroclubs to include a prohibition of cost sharing flights in their internal club rules. Thus if nobody can get a plane to do such flights, the problem is effectively solved without any legal complications about what the law says.

So I guess this “working group” just sat there together with tea and biscuits and dreamt up legislation which is not theirs to make, completely ignoring European law. The ruling is not published yet, probably it goes through the DGAC’s lawyers and they still scratch their head wondering how the result relates to current law.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 07 Jan 09:49

I got the email copied below over Christmas, obviously this is US focused but when it trickles in the US it usually rains…

After 2 years of battling with regulators to make general aviation better, we’re shutting down.
View this email in your browser

The Beginning of the End
On Friday, December 18, 2015 the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia denied our request to overturn the Federal Aviation Administration’s ban on Flytenow and other online flight-sharing websites.

In the Opinion of the Court, Judge Pillard held that pilots sharing expenses on Flytenow were engaged in common carriage, making them the only common carriers (i.e., commercial airliners) in history to not seek a profit.

We started Flytenow over two years ago to share the joy of flying by allowing aviation enthusiasts to meet pilots and go flying together. Enthusiasts from Boston to San Francisco experienced private flight for the first time on Flytenow – some going on to obtain their pilot certificates.

The current state of the law is extremely deferential to regulatory actions, at the expense of innovation. The Court relied on that regulatory deference, and the result is less choice for consumers, and less innovation in general aviation.

Unfortunately, we are left with no choice but to shut down Flytenow. However, we are still fighting as pilots to make this happen. Our amazing legal team at The Goldwater Institute are looking into options to appeal and helped introduce a bill in Congress. Thanks to all of our supporters, mentors, and investors who helped us along the way.

- The Flytenow Team

Subscribe to our blog for future updates and help support aviation expense sharing by contacting your representatives with the following message:

Support the Sharing Economy, Support Aviation Cost and Expense Sharing Act of 2015

The sharing economy helps us as a nation to better utilize our resources, improve the way we live, and spur economic growth by harnessing technology. I believe in the sharing economy and strongly encourage you to support the Aviation Cost and Expense Sharing Act of 2015 to allow pilots to communicate with the public, in any manner the person determines appropriate, to lawfully share expenses with his or her passengers under 61.113(c) of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations. Contact the office of Congressman David Schweikert for more information.

Category: Transportation
Subscribe to our Blog

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Two similar threads.

Here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wingly has received a remarkable letter from the director of EASA, effectively confirming that cost sharing through their website is legal.

Only that now that most aéroclubs have changed their internal statutes to disallow cost sharing flights with passengers found through internet platforms according to a “recommendation” by the FFA, it is a moot point for most what EASA allows or not. And the best part is, I have financed this restriction of freedom with my mandatory membership with the FFA.

Rwy20 wrote:

Wingly has received a remarkable letter from the director of EASA

Wow!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message