Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA42-VI as a good Scandiavia / Euro tourer? vs Cirrus SR22?

Both (SR22 DA42) are suited for the mission. You and passengers need to try each one out, and decide based on comfort.

Financially am wondering whether the DA42 may have lower depreciation? They are used in training and aerial work operations, so have a commercial demand underpinning to second hand values.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Having flown in both I would say the DA42 is much quieter inside. The SR22 is even more noisy than the TB20 although with decent headsets it is fine to fly (obviously).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think any DA42 really does 190KTAS in cruise.

The SR22 is definitely more comfortable (no sticks between your legs,more upright seating, bigger windscreen, no huge engine nacelles on the sides). Engine noise is no issue with ANR headsets.

But if you are doing a lot of international trips, being independent from 100LL would definitely be a big plus for the DA42.

I agree with Robert. Test fly them. Most people will make their decisions there and then, without bothering about “numbers” all too much.

P.S. Re heating: SR22s (like pretty much all other SEPs/MEPs, to be honest) have good heating in the front, but very poor heating in the back. In (real) winter, it is essentially a 2-seater…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 19 Mar 15:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Snoopy wrote:

It is my observation flying with others that factors such as spring loaded flight controls, engine management (LOP, descend, CHT/TIT values) and tight base to final turns (if required eg due to airspace constraints) are more challenging in a Cirrus than in a 42. How often do you hear a Cirrus REV up high during engine start on your airfield ;) (ok, that applies to all avgas planes).

You don’t have to fly a Cirrus Lean of Peak; you can fly them conventionally, ie 50° ROP or according to the Lean Assist which, on the Avidyne setup, will give you the option of max power or eco; it’s only because flying LOP is so much more efficient that it is practiced and it’s not difficult. I agree, with the SR22 you need to watch your fuel flow as you climb but the numbers are there in full view, printed on the dashboard fascia so it’s hardly rocket science.

I don’t know why the descent is considered to be tricky, yes the plane is slippery, but I’ve never had any issues slowing a Cirrus down; the 4 blade prop on some SR22s acts like an airbrake, when you pull the lever to idle. CHT management is one thing but with proper care and attention, it’s not that difficult; TIT is only for turbos. Finally, If someone revs a Cirrus faster than the normal 1000 – 1200 rpm on start up, then that’s because he doesn’t understand what ‘throttle cracked’ really means. I’ve seen people do it with P28As and that concerns me – with the camshaft on the top of the engine, that’s the easiest and fastest way to ruin your engine – get the motor running at 2000rpm when the oil is still thick and cold sitting in the bottom of the sump…..

mmgreve wrote:

Not anymore – at least according the Cirrus Europe

It’s still showing on the website as available…..

EDL*, Germany

I repeatedly saw 185-190 in a DA42-VI. But that was at 93% (MCP) and the question is whether you want to use that power setting all the time.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

At what altitude?

Without that, “TAS” has no meaning. And to get the sales brochure TAS numbers you and your family need to wear oxygen masks

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

or according to the Lean Assist which, on the Avidyne setup,

According to some, this puts the engine right at the worst point (highest pressure, red box/red fin).
No factor on FADEC/liquid cooled 42

with the SR22 you need to watch your fuel flow as you climb

Watch and adjust fuel flow (Turbo solves this issue).

I don’t know why the descent is considered to be tricky, yes the plane is slippery, but I’ve never had any issues slowing a Cirrus down

Slowing down isn’t an issue, even with 3 bladed prop and low flap limit of the older series, it is slowing down without cooling CHTs (chop and drop) which takes some capacity.

If someone revs a Cirrus faster than the normal 1000 – 1200 rpm on start up, then that’s because he doesn’t understand what ‘throttle cracked’ really means.

Yes, maybe applicable to some. I think a factor also is that we all heard 10 versions of the „best hotstart procedure“ and then a rev up simply happens (imagine 40°C outside, boiling temps in the cabin, family drowning in sweat, someone else waiting for you to vacate the fuel pump etc).
In the DA42, again, not a factor.

Apart from being a twin and Diamonds simple/benign handling qualities, all the advantages stem from the jet a/fadec/liquid cooled engines.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Cirrus, would fly one everyday!

always learning
LO__, Austria

sedatedokc wrote:

I dont have any experience with Diamonds or Cirrus or flying around Europe, and any advice would be appreciated!

You’ve already got a lot of good advices – it’s hard to add something useful. As your budget is sufficient, primary advice would be “sit in the aircraft and see whether it’s comfortable for you”. The second advice would be “check availability of the maintenance shops in your area”, although I believe there are few good ones.

BerlinFlyer wrote:

Definitely OEI handling in the Diamond is not complicated, but especially the DA42 isn’t exactly a vertical speed wonder.

It really depends on the engines you have. I have CD-155 engines and at MTOW I can easily get 400 FPM with OEI. Even with old Thielerts 2.0 I was able to fly at 8000 feet 110 KIAS, 4 POB on one engine and 40 USG of fuel on board.

boscomantico wrote:

DA42-IV can do this with 16 GPH (8 per engine) at FL150 at 90% of load. Been there, done that. Realistically 3.5 hours of endurance at that speed with more than one hour of reserve and covering some 700 NM.

With my CD-155 engines I get 180 KTAS with 14.4 GPH (7.2 per engine) at FL150 and 85% load (due to lower critical altitude and weaker turbo I can’t get more power at that altitude). In that scenario I have 4 hours endurance (plus more than hour reserve) and realistically cover some 750 NM.

At bit lower settings -IV (or CD-155) easily covers 800 NM in 4.5 hours (with more than 1 hour fuel reserve) cruising 175 KTAS at FL140 or FL160.

Last Edited by Emir at 19 Mar 18:00
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

At what altitude?

Sorry, should have mentioned that of course. FL120.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

And regarding Scandinavia, I did few flights in the area with the longest one Zagreb to Stockholm (5 hours with average 20 kts of headwind) landing through snow beginning of May.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message