Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Did this pilot "know something"?

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So far, I can’t recall that a single accident or even incident in airline traffic has been attributed to overweight passengers.

I referred to one in post 14 – in a reply to a comment by you, actually… Unfortunately the accident report is in Swedish only and the web version is a scan from paper so it is can not be easily run through a translator. But the main thing was that passengers being “overweight” caused the CG to be well outside the aft limit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A no-survivers crash on lift-off involving a small scheduled twin in the US was due to pax and luggage above the FAA standard weight.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I would have thought, with everyday items being mass-produced and therefore cheaper and lower quantity, airline baggage weights would decrease as people would buy e.g. books or clothing on holiday and throw them away when leaving.

JAL is trialling clothing hire at destination, so passengers can travel with lighter suitcases. You preselect your clothes, and they’re left at your hotel freshly washed and ironed. Not sure if it’s genuine or just a marketing idea for publicity / green credentials.

I always used to travel hand-luggage only to minimise wait times at the airport. Now, with children, we go with hold luggage, but it’s a lot more streamlined than I remember and we don’t lose too much time. Do more people travel with hold bags than previously? Or am I just the minority in travelling light?

I remember a holiday where the English people in the apartment next door had gone all the way to Greece with a suitcase of tinned food, mostly baked beans 🤮

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

An overweight BA first class passenger got stuck in their (extra wide) seat for 3 hours and had to be removed via disassembly and a hoist
link

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message