Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Difficulties with IFR routings in Nice/Cannes area

Peter wrote:

Is this a serious post? DA40…

There’s an hours difference between FL100 and FL160 on Monday flying from Bologna to Montpellier. It’s a joke…

Peter wrote:

That is either a joke, or masochism. Have you checked the Signature fees?

It was a joke, simply that the headwinds on Monday are epically annoying.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 01 Aug 21:15
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

If you don’t want to fly high and you don’t want fly low I think I would look for a different route or change my return times. It would be wrong to expect ATC to sort you out and give you a middle altitude. They might well do so but they might not be able to. You will not be the only one trying to avoid strong headwinds.

France

pilotrobbie wrote:

I presume I can file FL150 for the route, then just let ATC know unable higher due to strong winds.

I’m not sure that is a great idea. Sometimes it may work, but we all know that the routings get quite different above FL100 and they may well not be able to accommodate a “stop climb” simply due to a wind that existed at the planning stage.

Surely the objective is to plan and file at the level which gives the shortest flight time and fuel burn. Some days especially in an SEP this is going to be lower down even if the track miles are further.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Some days, it’s just sensible to go VFR and make it up along the way.
No restrictions on where you go or route.
Yes sometimes the planning/execution takes a little more work, but it shouldn’t be forgotten as an option.

United Kingdom

Nice is bizzarely aggressive IME.

I wrote about this some time ago. A shortcut was denied below FL150. I asked for a climb FL150. It was denied and the ATCO made it “clear” that she denied it because she knew perfectly well I would then ask for the shortcut The result was a long detour of some 30-45 mins in a useless direction. Whereas if I had arrived in their area already at FL150 I would have prob99 got it.

This kind of stuff is rare in Europe but when you get it you notice it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message