Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do pilots have a more glamorous image than the reality?

I think there is a lot of truth in this. A lot of people think “little planes” are great fun – even if most would not get inside one. But very few know how much crap we have to put up with the get a PPL, then maybe to get an IR, and actually get value out of flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well ive tried the line “I’m a pilot any chance of a …,”

And its never worked. Not once

I have found turning up at the Slug and Lettuce like this, just draws the chics

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 12 Sep 18:35
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

You can park your Harrier at the S & L

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter,

I think this pic is quite to the point, if tongue in the cheek. It is indeed quite different how people see pilots, particularly private pilots and owners of small planes.

Hardly anyone would think of Tom Cruise (thankfully, despite the fact that he’s an aviation nut) when I mention to them that I fly a small plane. The second pic is more to the point there, those people who are not in aviation tend to think of small airplanes as something inherently dangerous and of those using them reckless adrenaline junkies. That is those who’ve never flown in one or who’ve had bad experiences such as a turbulent first flight or a flight with one of the less proficient species of ppls.

Society unfortunately has a very weird picture of GA pilots and their planes. There are those who think or knowingly pretend that GA pilots and owners are all multimillionaires who fly Biz Jets or otherwise multimillionaires who fly small lawnmowers for fun. For the former, GA is a means to the end, that is they imagine someone with a private airplane using it to fly to the yacht in the Med or the ski lodge in the Alps or other yellow press induced delusions. The latter image often generates misunderstanding or even antagonism as for many, light aviation is as necessary as a hole in the head, generates only noise and pollution and is therefore a welcome target for political gameplay and vote catching, as the number of people anagonized is negligible and the political gain opposing GA often bigger.

I sincerely hope none of my instructors have that image of me… otherwise, why the hell did they sign me off?

What I believe I do: Operate a small, well equipped and maintained and affordable travel airplane as professionally and carefully as I can for my and my passengers enjoyment and without creating undue impact onto those not involved with my privilege. Signing the occasional cheque is part of it but certainly not the main thing I do, otherwise something is desparately wrong.

Outside GA, the pilots image has changed brutally over the last several years, but that is a different topic. Suffice to say that the dream of airline flying still keeps uncountable youngsters motivated to go to unreasonable lenghts to achieve a profession, whose image they might have is only restricted to very few mainline carriers.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

But very few know how much crap we have to put up with the get a PPL

OTOH, one of the most frequently asked questions (right after “How high do you fly?” and “How fast do you fly?”) is “How long does it take you to learn to fly?” and they are always surprised when I tell them about the 45 hours minimum (“only??”).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I think the best thing to say is you can solo a plane before soloing a car.

EGTK Oxford

The second pic is more to the point there, those people who are not in aviation tend to think of small airplanes as something inherently dangerous and of those using them reckless adrenaline junkies.

That statement contradicts all my experience. The only one who thought that way was a former LH Busdriver who mistook the cockpit for just another office with a better view…

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

It has never happened to me either. Adrenaline junkies are well established in society: parajumpers, base jumpers, free style skiers (down unprepared mountain slopes), kayaking down white rivers, diving with sharks, robbing banks My impression is that most people (almost everyone) see private pilots as enthusiasts willing to sacrifice lots of time and money to be able to fly on their own. If anything, they admire (and sometimes envy) the enthusiasm and commitment.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Watch the current BBC series “Skies above Britain”…. An ATC woman explained that small planes don’t really have strict maintenance like airlines other than an annual “MOT”….and the scene with the small plane (with the implication of a bumbling amateur pilot) infringing Gatwick causing chaos….a few aerobatic pilots and other hobbyists….all risking their lives…. The only oblique reference to a business user was an ATC relaying how there was one guy who used to make regular trips to Ireland that they all felt they knew…until one day he died too… I’m afraid that’s how light GA is viewed…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message