Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you get lost at airports?

The only way to guard against that is to check, at each marked runway entry point, the runway number, and check it is the runway number you were cleared to taxi across.

I have to cross three runways to get from my hangar to the self-serve fuel pump. There are multiple paths on which to cross those runways and get from A to B, all three runways are typically in use simultaneously and the ground controllers are not always totally unambiguous about the order in which they’d like you to cross them. I don’t enjoy screwing around with all that and since there is only one taxiway between hangar and nearest prevailing wind runway, I have a solution… I usually fly elsewhere to buy fuel, or fly to and from the pump at home base Worst case I call the fuel truck instead of taxiing across the field.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Mar 21:12

Garmin safetaxi is really helpful in that scenario.

Garmin SafeTaxi on the G1000 is better than Jeppesen ChartView’s georeferenced taxi layouts. Unfortunately only covers North America & Europe.

- You simply zoom enroute directly into the airfield layout on the MFD. Jepp is on a separate page.

- Detail is better & image is scalable. Jepp is just a digitized plate & more “conceptual/topological”; complex intersections tends to be less clearly defined.

- You can orient yourself much better out the windows of the aircraft since SafeTaxi supports track-up. Jepp is fixed North-up.

- Only the main airfield taxi layout is georeferenced on the Jepp. Any cut-outs (which all major airports tends to have) aren’t georef.

Having said that, even with all its shortcomings I still wouldn’t forego Jepp airfield layout on the MFD – it’s an insanely great feature, especially at night, low-vis etc.

In my opinion the cheapest way to prevent getting lost is a Jeppesen VFR subscription for “Europe”. JeppFD georeferences the approach and when slowing down on the runway automatically switches to the excellently depicted taxi chart complete with aircraft position marked by an arrow. I have this on an Ipad and am very happy with it

EDLN and EDKB

Do you mean the full JeppFD, or the JeppFD (VFR)?

I posted screenshots of the airport diagrams from the VFR product here. They are IMHO poor.

Is there any product which displays the aircraft in the correct compass orientation and does so even when moving slowly or stationary – whether the map is fixed-north-up or rotating?

The old windows-based Jepp FliteDeck (which came with Jeppview, and I think still does) had a GPS moving map functionality which included, reportedly, auto switching between enroute data and the airport data. I played with it briefly c. 2005/2006 but it crashed so often it was useless. The tablet I fly with is windows 8 so I might try a demo on that and see if it is improved.

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Mar 07:01
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Jepp ipad IFR app can be set up to auto-switch from the approach plate to the ground plate on landing. The aeroplane direction indicator also seems to have some hysteresis built in, so it maintains the last direction moved until a few feet into a turn and stays stable when you’re stopped – it works perfectly except for the first bit of movement after starting. I’ll try to take some screenshots tomorrow.

The only issue is the stupid cost for any reasonable coverage.

I have safetaxi as well, but find I don’t really use it.

Last Edited by jwoolard at 15 Mar 07:42
EGEO

SkyDemon will overlay your georeferenced position on either the AIP airport chart or Pooleys or AFE at the push of a virtual button on my ipad…..very handy…and only discovered by accident! All you do is click on “Plates” and then click on the yellow aeroplane symbol next to the plate you want….very clever….and waaay cheaper than a Safetaxi subscription

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 15 Mar 07:56
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Anthony,
Where is the virtual button for this.

Hi Rob, on the right of the screen during planning as well as “go flying” mode there are 4 tabs: Notam, Weather, Plates and Flight Details…. Click on Plates it will show the plates available for your route….or you can use the “find plates” function….then against certain of the plates there will be a yellow aero plane symbol….click on the one you want….et voila!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

The Jepp ipad IFR app…

The main problem when using the JeppView app for taxiing is that only the overview chart (10-9) is georeferenced and has the aircraft symbol on it. All the detail charts, and those are the ones you need when operating at the real difficult airports, don’t have it. Therefore either a second crewmember who does the talking and has the chart or progressive taxi instruction are the order of the day… And still it is easy to get lost on airports like Madrid Barajas (my personal nightmare in this respect).

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hi Peter,

I mean the JeppFD app for the Ipad (sans VFR). It gives access including georeferenced symbol to the taxi charts (19-2) of your Jeppesen subscription and includes even the smallest airfields. I just renewed the “all Europe” subscription for €300 p.a.

While the Skydemon option is nice I find it annoying that it needs additional DFS and Pooleys subscriptions

EDLN and EDKB
Sign in to add your message