Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Does a GTN750 need any "secret" dealer codes to install and configure?

I am basically asking if it is possible for a non Garmin dealer to install one.

The G500 can’t be thus installed, AFAIK, because some of the modules need unlock codes which only dealers have.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Steinair, a well recognised dealer for experimental market in the US is selling the GTN750 along the G900X or the G3x. There is no G500 there.
Link

The GTN750 install manual says that it comes pre-loaded with software. You need a software loader SD card in order to load the device with the latest available software. Dealers have access to the garmin download area where you can obtain the software to program this SD card.

Basically if you purchase a GTN750 with the latest software, there is no need to have this SD card.

Belgium

Thanks for that link, ploucandco.

What you suggest is that one can access all config but would have to visit a Garmin dealer to update the firmware. That would be fine.

I have a March 2011 IM for the 650/750. I searched it for config mode access and on page 5-3 it says this

So in this case to access the config mode you need that special SD card.

However on page 5-6 there is this

which is much more normal. I wonder if you get access to everything? It does look like it.

This is one of the bits relevant to the KFC225

Administrator

Holding the home button on startup does access the full configuration mode.

EGTK Oxford

This is really interesting.

It looks like Garmin are allowing a no-installation sale of the GTN boxes. It is done under the charade of being shipped with an “experimental harness”. I bought the Sandel gear that way.

The $14k+ is the standard list price mentioned earlier above.

Very good news, for those with installation facilities. The UK installed cost is £20-25k.

Last Edited by Peter at 25 Feb 16:34
Administrator
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message