Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynamic propeller balancing

I’d come to that fly-in with my 3-blade 182 (subject to a chat with my co-owners)

Denham, Elstree, United Kingdom

Or maybe we can do a group rebalancing session at EGKA? :)

EGKA, United Kingdom

We did this today at EGKA as discussed above.

For 2 x TB20, an excellent result. Mine went from 0.5 ips to 0.06 ips and most noticeable is a huge reduction in the instrument panel vibration. Initially we got some weird results until I suspected the hub was not properly filling with oil; cycling the prop as usual before doing the measurement (after every engine start) sorted this!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, I bought a prop balancer, they give a meaningful improvement!

EGNS, Other
Ha, seems we topped that 15 years ago with that communist old aircraft, 2.50m wooden prop, 360 hp at 3000 rpm crank speed max. . It got a planetary gear reduction certainly , was a bit puzzling at first. In the end we were barking at the wrong tree, the rare shaking at the front was not the prop but the engine cowling with its non-curved sides vibrating from prop wind beats. Vic

YAK_18_Propeller_Analysis_ms_pdf

vic
EDME

There were persistent vibration issues with 3B props – in the TB20 context it was the Hartzell one. So I insisted on getting dynamic prop balancing done on my TB20 when it was brand new. They started with 1.5ips (which is pretty bad) and got it down to some fraction of that. It was a firm in Exeter – no doubt long gone. I handed over the bank draft for the second 50% of the payment for the plane on the return flight

Anyone interested in getting this done – contact A_and_C.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or, if visiting Jockistan with a capable aircraft, come to Glenswinton.

We have a couple of Dynavibe kits here. The improvement on small helicopters and Lyc 4-cylinder airplanes is well worth an hour or so of owner/mechanic time.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Yes – the equipment is not terribly expensive if you’re seriously into planes, and a couple of people local to me have it in their arsenal too, for their own use and that of friends Link

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 May 16:01

My Dynavibe is available to anyone who cares to visit.. it’s important to have a good sensor securing point in the front of the engine, preferably just behind the front bearing. A longer crankcase bolt sometimes helps.

Last Edited by PeteD at 08 May 21:19
EGNS, Other
89 Posts
Sign in to add your message