Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA/FAA Bilateral treaty / BASA - IR question (conversion in both directions)

10 Posts

I have a query in relation to the new FAA / EASA bilateral agreement. I’m an EASA FI and also an FAA CFII and have been asked a questions by a student and want to be sure I’m giving the correct advice.

If we take the scenario of a candidate that currently holds a valid EASA PPL SEP and wants to gain an FAA IR with a view to subsequently adding the FAA IR to the EASA license in line with the bilateral agreement so they then hold both an FAA IR and EASA IR.

From my reading, it’s clear that they could not just get a 61.75 piggyback license, add the FAA IR to that, and then try to add the FAA IR back onto the EASA PPL using the bilateral agreement as this is specifically excluded in Para 1.1.2 of the TIP-L.

However, what’s not clear to me is whether you can get a (full) FAA PPL issued on the basis of the bilateral agreement, then complete full training towards and complete an FAA IR flight test, then get this new FAA IR (on a now technically separate and unlinked FAA license) added onto the EASA PPL via the bilateral. I believe that should be OK as I can’t see anything that would specifically prohibit it, but just wanted to get some input on that.

Ireland

Aztec_Flyer wrote:

However, what’s not clear to me is whether you can get a (full) FAA PPL issued on the basis of the bilateral agreement, then complete full training towards and complete an FAA IR flight test, then get this new FAA IR (on a now technically separate and unlinked FAA license) added onto the EASA PPL via the bilateral.

Seems like that should be possible, however I think you need the 50 hours IFR PIC to avoid the 10 hours with an ATO and get written exam credit. Still might be worth it though.

EHRD, Netherlands

For comparison, sequential conversions in alternating direction are permitted under the US–Canada conversion agreement.

Subpara 2.4.1(b) in the TIP-L allows a rating to be included in an existing Part-FCL licence.

If the applicant resides outside the EU, note the time limit in para 2.1.3. If the applicant intends to hold a commercial licence, consider the CBM IR route instead (cf. BASA annex 3, para 2.2.7.)

to avoid the 10 hours with an ATO

No specific number of hours is prescribed. The ATO will determine the amount of acclimatization flying needed.

London, United Kingdom

I think this will be country- and school-dependent. Like this stuff on which you will hardly find two people with the same experience.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought you might all enjoy the latest chapter of my BASA PPL application. I sent the papers off to the DGAC Bureau de Licenses in Marseille three weeks ago. They rarely answer the phone, but today they did.

Here is their status update:

“This is the first time we’ve seen one of these BASA applications. We have no idea what to do with it. We’ve asked for a training session, but we don’t know when that will happen.”

You couldn’t make it up…

One thing they did also say is that they need an extra form from the examiner, for the oral part, i.e. to prove that I understand the French regulations. I’ll have to sit with him and figure out what they actually want – but if you are trying to follow the process, you’ll need to do this also.

Never fly anything with paint on the rudder pedals… unfortunately in this case I had no choice.

John

LFMD, France

Load of N-reg pilots have gone with BASA process this year (and before with ICAO process in last 5 years), many operates N-reg on FAA in Cannes/Avignon with some usual FAA/EASA outfits, I would have expected dual FAA/EASA examiners and DGAC to know how to navigate this?

I am sure @greg_mp knows local pilots who can share their experience? or help with contacts?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 May 14:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Really? They evidently didn’t go through the Marseilles Bureau de Licenses! I guess maybe it would have been prudent to go through Paris, but I really wasn’t expecting it to be at quite this level.

Is there anyone you can put me in touch with? But the problem is that now the papers are with Marseille, I don’t suppose it would help to send them to Paris as well.

LFMD, France

I was under the impression anything related to IR (or CPL/ATPL) is done by ‘DGAC Farman’ in Paris not the local branches, the examiner who conduct your test should be able to confirm this?

Just what I heard from N-reg pilots who converted ICAO/BASA, a large bulk went via the likes of Cannes Aviation Academy or Orbifly, I have not gone through ICAO/BASA process myself (in opposite situation: EASA IR but need to get an FAA IR )

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/pilotes-avion-epreuves-pratiques-atpl-cpl-ir

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Procedures_for_Examiners_june_2016.pdf

For Paris: dsac-examen-pratique-cplira-bfATaviation-civile.gouv.fr

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 May 16:20

Mine is just PPL – I may get round to doing the IR part later, but I haven’t done any IFR flying since I arrived in France and still don’t really know how to go about it. It would be good to find an instrument instructor at Cannes but so far I haven’t (nor have I tried).

When I contacted the DGAC early on, they told me to go through Marseille, presumably because it’s just PPL. If only they’d told the office in Marseille too…

They have a tough record to beat though. It has so far taken me four years except two months to not get my French pension working :-(

LFMD, France

Ah I see, that makes sense: you could be the first person indeed, good luck !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 May 19:21
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message