Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA Instructor Rating

Hi Folks,

I understand it is possible to add an EASA instructor’s rating onto a PPL. Is it possible to do outside an ATO environment with a freelance instructor and can it be done on an N-reg aircraft? If so, any recommendations? How quickly can it be knocked out?

DMEarc

Negative. The FI rating is through an ATO course.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In an N-reg, it should be possible, though only in some countries. I did my FAA IR to JAA IR conversion in my N-reg TB20, in the UK.

Few FTOs/ATOs are interested in that however (a bit of extra admin) and that includes doing anything in the student’s own aircraft.

This writeup may have some pointers to where it may be possible.

The firm I did my stuff at is now called Omega Flight Training, at Shoreham EGKA, and AFAIK they can do FI training. The CFI there is a great guy.

Note that to train the full EASA PPL (not just the LAPL) you need the CPL exam passes, which is 13 exams, plus a minimum classroom attendance. CATS (Gatwick and Luton on alternate months, and you need three “classroom sessions” of several days each, in addition to home based self study and homework) is a popular place for that. A pilot I know is an instructor at CATS; in fact he reads EuroGA… There are various threads here on that – example. A masochist will do all 14 ATPL exams but if you don’t need the ATPL…? The full 14 exam passes can be handy because they are one way of complying with the HPA Rating needed for a turboprop like a PA46T, TBM700, PC12 – apparently needed in the EU from April 2016 even if the aircraft is N-reg. At one stage EASA was going to let a PPL+FI train the EASA PPL but there was an outcry from the FTO industry because it would have caused an over-supply of instructors.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It took me six weeks to do. Up to 2 sorties per day, with the occasional days rained off due to weather, as per usual.

1:1 with instructor all day, no “buddy”.

General format was

1) Have cup of tea
2) Brief exercise “A” to the instructor
3) Receive brief for exercise “B” from the instructor
4) Go flying. Teach instructor exercise “A”. Be taught exercise “B” by instructor.
5) Go back, have up of tea and debrief.

Lunch

same in afternoon.

Other ground exercises and study done on rainy days.

Biggin Hill

My experience (I finished in February) was pretty much in line with Cobalts description above.

Oxford and Bidford

Is there any kind of sensible way to convert an FAA CFI rating? I’m guessing not, given the usual European authority’s attitudes to common sense.

Kent, UK

How quickly can it be knocked out?

If you came to me with that attitude I would consider you were probably not the ideal candidate to do a FI Course, which will take 6 weeks even if you have a more positive attitude. The filter is a pre-entry test. It could be possible to use your aircraft in the UK if you are the owner, but is it suitable to do the course, that would be for the ATO to deceide and you would probably have to do some training in another aircraft e.g. spinning. As a PPL holder you will also need CPL level knowledge if you wish to teach for the PPL.

Is there any kind of sensible way to convert an FAA CFI rating?

Yes, there is a reduced length course 15 hours flying and 30 hours TK. As the FAA qualification bears little resemblence to the European FI Course, experience has shown that the relevant exercises can’t be taught in less.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 27 Jul 11:21

How much faa cfi experience is requried to get the reduced training in easa land? Thanks!

always learning
LO__, Austria
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message