Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA-reg aircraft - what do you do when the 50hr is coming up on a long trip?

Peter, I change my oil/filter sometime between 25 and 50 hrs, whenever I get a chance. Done that way, costs per flying hour (if you want to look at it that way) are slightly higher but you don’t have to stress out about trips or upcoming busy periods.

Peter, I change my oil/filter sometime between 25 and 50 hrs, whenever I get a chance

I perform an emergency landing into a field when the clock hits 50h, change the oil (dump it right in the field) and the filter and takeoff again…

I forget what oil filters cost but I think an oil + filter change is about $65 for my O-320, so a few hours early doesn’t break the bank. $25 + 20 minutes effort (no filter) for the little Continental. Actually, getting rid of the used oil is the biggest problem. Local auto parts shops take it at no cost, but won’t take more than a few gallons at a time I’m currently way ‘behind the curve’ and have about 20 gallons in storage.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Aug 17:46

Local auto parts shops take it at no cost, but won’t take more than a few gallons at a time I’m currently way ‘behind the curve’ and have about 20 gallons in storage.

Same here but there is usually no quantity limit if you have a little bit of a relationship. The auto part shops actually get money for the used oil from the recycling companies so they benefit from it. Oil changes are cheap and it’s a job I like so I try to do it every 25h.

Alternatively, you can do it like the Belgians who used to feed it to chicken and pigs…

Our local authority Recycling Centres (formerly rubbish dumps) have free engine oil facilities. I pass two on the way home.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

For private flying an owner pilot can certify the 50 hour check himself ( with the approval of the CAMO) if the aircraft is in a controlled environment, what he can’t do is certify and AD’s that become due.

As to having to fly CAA officials across the globe, this is the sort of nonsence that comes about when Maintenance companies have short sighted idiots write company expositions that limit the company’s working environment to one specific workshop, a well written company exposition will allow occasional use of other hangars and workshops with the approval of the quality manager of chief engineer. This avoids getting the CAA involved when somthing goes tech far from base.

So the bottom line is if you are going on a long trip make sure that no AD’s will be outstanding when the 50 hour check is due and do the check yourself or get a local maintenance company to “help you” and certify it yourself.

you are supposed to find a Part M company

This is not true, a Part 66 engineer (without a Part M / 145 company) could do this if your aircraft is non AOC and he is rated for your aircraft. It can also be done in some circumstance as pilot owner maintenance, depending on some factors such the aircraft use and weight. Achimha is right that these pilot owner task also should be indicated in the aircraft maintenance program.

Supposed to be possible to do it anywhere where you can find a Part M company.

You will need a CAMO company for airworthiness renewal, or use CAA services.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

[[ off-topic ]]

Alternatively, you can do it like the Belgians who used to feed it to chicken and pigs

There was little engine oil, there; the greatest volume came from deep-frying fat from our chippies. The worst pollution was from transformer oil, though. But who knows what else got mixed in… To our national credit it must be mentioned that the ministers in charge were decent enough to step back at once – which is far less normal here than in the U.K., for instance.

And BTW I too can get rid of engine oil at the local waste collecting centre (we call them “containerpark” in Dutch) at no cost.

Last Edited by at 09 Aug 09:27
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Here is how I understand it for aircraft in a “controlled environment”

- The aircraft is subject to a maintenance programme (MP)
- The CAMO manages the maintenance programme. It does NOT perform the maintenance unless it also is a maintenance organisation.
- The individual maintenance organisations, engineers, and pilot/owners execute the maintenance in accordance with the MP
- After maintenance, whomever did the maintenance releases the aircraft to service
- The CAMO renews the ARC, provided that the aircraft was maintained in accordance with the MP. This is a paperwork only exercise except that every three years a survey is required.

So if the MP says the pilot/owner does the 50 hour check, the pilot/owner signs the RTS and confirms that he has done the maintenance to the CAMO.

If the MP requires the 50 hour check to be done by a MO, the CAMO asks the MO to perform the maintenance, the MO signs the RTS and confirms to the CAMO.

Correct?

So it all depends on what the MP says, in theory it could say that 50 hour checks are optional, but in EASA land where manufacturer’s recommendations are regularly given the force of law that is unlikely.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 09 Aug 10:20
Biggin Hill

Do I understand it correctly that an EASA-reg plane cannot have the 50hr service done wholly by the pilot?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message